PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing XP over Linux

DanRea
February 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Just in advance; as humorous as you think you may be, could we please not have the mandatory 50 posts about how '*******' is terrible and ubuntu is much better blah blah etc. I have a problem and I'm really hoping and would reaaaaally really appreciate if someone could help me with it. One day I'll buy you a beer. If I meet you.

I need to test some software on a windows XP machine. I have an Ubuntu laptop. When I try to run my XP disc it tries to get going, but inevitably gets to a blue screen of death (ahh, I missed windows).

Ideally I want a dual boot machine- A massive XP partition with a cute little Ubuntu partition on the side. Failing that, I need XP installed on this laptop. Possibly relevant specs are as follows:

***ASUS M51V***
CPU: Duo P8400
HDD: 250GB
RAM: 2GB

Help a poor ignorant moron out eh? Please?

snake_eyes
February 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
you can't insall windows after ubuntu, in this case you have 2 choice, the first one to install windows then Ubuntu in order to get dual boot, else you can install vBOX
check this link out to download the compatible version http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

DanRea
February 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
How do I get rid of Ubuntu then, in order to install Windows?

pmlxuser
February 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
you can install windows after ubuntu, however you need to carefully partition your drive and know that windows usually takes the whole MBR after installing it.

If its your wish you can then reinstall grub, there are of threads on how to do that after windows installation

DanRea
February 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Well I have read that I can install XP on top of ubuntu, and all of the MBR stuff but... It doesn't work. The XP setup process starts, but ends up crashing. I've tried with different installation discs.

I'm looking for a big button that says 'delete ubuntu of my friggin laptop quicksmart, or else'. Then I'll install XP and what-not.

And please remember that I'm a moron.
It isn't easy being stupid you know- I need step-by-step instructions just to put my pants on, and even then I put them back to front.

pmlxuser
February 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
How do I get rid of Ubuntu then, in order to install Windows?

installing windows will get rid of ubuntu, just delete and format all the partitions.

insert disk into drive before machine boot and boot from disk ....

DanRea
February 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
installing windows will get rid of ubuntu, just delete and format all the partitions.

insert disk into drive before machine boot and boot from disk ....

Please refer to my last post. Thanks for the help though!

louieb
February 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Microsoft knows - Remove Linux and Install Windows on Your Computer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247804)