PDA

View Full Version : Beginner for java. why does my 'd' variable not change from zero and the others do?

javastudent
February 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
import java.util.*;

public class Sort
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
Scanner kb = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("Enter three whole numbers. Please press enter after each number.");

int a = kb.nextInt();
int b = kb.nextInt();
int c = kb.nextInt();

int e = 0;
int f = 0;
int d = 0;

while (d != 0 || e != 0 || f != 0)

if(a<=b && a<=c)

d = a;
else if ((b<=a) && (b<=c))
d = b;
else if (c<=a && c<=b)
d = c;

if (a>=b && a>=c)
f = a;
else if (b>=a && b>=c)
f = b;
else if (c>=a && c>=b)
f = c;

if (a<f && a>d)
e = a;
else if(b<f && b>d)
e = b;
else if(c<f && c>d)
e = c;

System.out.println("In ascending order:"+ d + "" + e +""+ f);

}
}

dwhitney67
February 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Look at what you have done here:

int e = 0;
int f = 0;
int d = 0;

while (d != 0 || e != 0 || f != 0)

The conditional in the while-statement will always evaluate to false.

Since you have neglected to utilize any curly brackets in your code, I cannot tell if you intended the second and third if-blocks to be part of the while-loop, but as it stands now, they are not. You should (almost) always use curly-brackets to delineate where a block of code begins and ends. It makes reading and maintaining the code a lot easier.

GregBrannon
February 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Reevaluate your while statement.

Your code would be easier to read by adding brackets.

nvteighen
February 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Your code would be easier to read by adding brackets.

Actually, his code would only make sense by adding brackets...

kernelnewbie1
February 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hello,
as dwhitney67 pointed out the while loop condition always evaluates false , so any thing after while is neglected , usually a set of statements to be executed on success of a loop condition are enclosed in curly braces are put after while() , but if its only single statement that need to be iterated then curly braces is not necessary, since u have not used curly braces the next statement after while if(..) is considered as the statement of iteration since loop condition is false the if statement is ignored , and thus the statement of execution on if condition being true and all else if --else branch related to the if condition is never executed ,hence d is left unchanged (d = 0)

seeing your code , i felt that while loop is unnecessary , as while is used for iterative tasks and is no way related to your logic

removing the while() and using <= and >= in last if-else block might give you the desired output

p.s:
"An error is the best way to begin programming !"

alexk82
February 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm not trying to throw you under a bus, but what are you trying to learn with this program? while there maybe issues with how the code works you should take a look at how you are solving a problem using java. as this is not a java issue but a logic issue