PDA

View Full Version : First ZaReason laptop that's actually tempting...

aysiu
February 19th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I'm pretty happy with my HP Mini 1120nr netbook, but every now and then I check out System76's and ZaReason's websites just to see what Linux-preinstalled options are out there.

Truth be told, most of it looks like junk. I like smooth edges. I like computers to look sleek in addition to being functional.

I just spotted what I think is a new laptop at ZaReason. It's a 13" screen that looks light and slim:
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16221&cat=250&page=1

I don't have money for that (and I just bought this netbook last year, so I don't really want to fall victim to perceived obsolescence), but it looks very tempting.

thatguruguy
February 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Seems like a nice rig. But it would be nice if they could put more memory in it.

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I have to say, it looks pretty stylish. However, the price seems a bit steep for the specs given. Then again, I've never bought a laptop in the ultraportable category, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

Grifulkin
February 19th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I have to say, it looks pretty stylish. However, the price seems a bit steep for the specs given. Then again, I've never bought a laptop in the ultraportable category, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

No, you aren't wrong, 600 for a netbook is super steep. You could just buy a regular laptop for that kind of money, and then change the operating system to the one you want, not hard.

AllRadioisDead
February 19th, 2010, 06:34 AM
That's a ripoff for $600.

aysiu
February 19th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Um, as far as I can tell, it is a regular laptop (not a netbook).

How much do 13" laptops usually cost?

Roasted
February 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah, that seems very steep...

AllRadioisDead
February 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Um, as far as I can tell, it is a regular laptop (not a netbook).

How much do 13" laptops usually cost?
Did you even bother looking at the specs?

jrusso2
February 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
With double the memory it seems reasonable. Paid more then double for my Macbook Pro 13"

Psumi
February 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
*sigh*

This might be a better choice. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+Neo+ X2+Dual-Core+Mobile+Processor+-+Nova+Black/9700987.p?id=1218154401423&skuId=9700987)

or this. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Laptop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Dual-Core+Processor+-+Midnight+Blue/9695339.p?id=1218150605281&skuId=9695339)

aysiu
February 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM
*sigh*

This might be a better choice. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+Neo+ X2+Dual-Core+Mobile+Processor+-+Nova+Black/9700987.p?id=1218154401423&skuId=9700987)

or this. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Laptop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Dual-Core+Processor+-+Midnight+Blue/9695339.p?id=1218150605281&skuId=9695339)
Those come with Windows 7, though.

MooPi
February 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Dell has a very nice offering with Ubuntu.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-v13/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-v13&s=bsd&cs=04&~ck=mn (http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-v13/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-v13&s=bsd&cs=04&%7Eck=mn)

Psumi
February 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Do I care? No.

justin whitaker
February 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM

That's what the OEM install is for. LOL.

I'd stay away from the Gateway. I've had a helluva time getting Ubuntu to play nice with my 6860FX.

AllRadioisDead
February 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Do I care? No.
Oh woops, I guess he forgot that this thread is all about you!

Roasted
February 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Oh woops, I guess he forgot that this thread is all about you!

I really fail to see why it matters if they come with Ubuntu or if they come with Windows. For reasons beyond "what makes sense level", the Ubuntu-only vendors out there still tend to have a (in some cases, higher) markup versus the pre-loaded Windows systems. Is that because of demand? I suppose.

But why would I ever spend more money on a laptop with less hardware simply because it comes with Ubuntu? It's so easy for me to just nuke Windows and throw Ubuntu on it.

My dad just got a Dell. i3 dual core, 4gb DDR3 RAM, 250gb HDD, Wifi BGN, HDMI out, 15.6" widescreen 720p, 9 cell battery... all for 630 dollars.

Try to get that from System76 and you'll be suddenly in Apple-ish prices.

I've always found it's easier to do a few minutes of research on certain laptop models to see if they're supported by Ubuntu prior to buying, then buy it, spend an hour doing your thing with Windows/adding Ubuntu, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get more hardware. I mean, why not?

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I really fail to see why it matters if they come with Ubuntu or if they come with Windows. For reasons beyond "what makes sense level", the Ubuntu-only vendors out there still tend to have a (in some cases, higher) markup versus the pre-loaded Windows systems. Is that because of demand? I suppose.

But why would I ever spend more money on a laptop with less hardware simply because it comes with Ubuntu? It's so easy for me to just nuke Windows and throw Ubuntu on it.

My dad just got a Dell. i3 dual core, 4gb DDR3 RAM, 250gb HDD, Wifi BGN, HDMI out, 15.6" widescreen 720p, 9 cell battery... all for 630 dollars.

Try to get that from System76 and you'll be suddenly in Apple-ish prices.

I've always found it's easier to do a few minutes of research on certain laptop models to see if they're supported by Ubuntu prior to buying, then buy it, spend an hour doing your thing with Windows/adding Ubuntu, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get more hardware. I mean, why not?

In before "principles > practicality."

audiomick
February 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM
In before "principles > practicality."
damn, too slow...

The difference a windows pre-install makes is that I specifically don't want MS to get the money for the pre-install, and don't want the trouble of trying to give the windows back. That doesn't justify, in itself, a higher price for a pre-installed FOSS OS though. Could be justified to an extent if the seller has really taken the trouble to make sure the system works well on the hardware, which is also part of apple's justification of their prices.

As far as the computer that the OP linked to goes

Speakers on both sides of the keyboard for quality sound output
would be enough to put me off. Two speakers = sound quality is not quite true...;)
But that is only a triviality, I know.

JDShu
February 20th, 2010, 01:20 AM
damn, too slow...

The difference a windows pre-install makes is that I specifically don't want MS to get the money for the pre-install, and don't want the trouble of trying to give the windows back. That doesn't justify, in itself, a higher price for a pre-installed FOSS OS though. Could be justified to an extent if the seller has really taken the trouble to make sure the system works well on the hardware, which is also part of apple's justification of their prices.

Exactly. In addition, if we care about trying to spread Linux (which I do, even if others might not), supporting companies like ZaReason and System76 is the most effective way to do it. Anyway, Linux preinstalled computers are probably more expensive because these companies can't take advantage of economies of scale.

blueturtl
February 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
...ZaReason creates systems that are built to last. When you care about the lifetime effect of your hardware, you work harder, you adapt your methods, and you do things differently. You rebel against the “made to break” methods. We built a company that can help spread this vision of persistence, duration and sturdiness.

This is from the ZaReason company profile.

Why is it that whenever these threads pop up people are always quick to point out how much cheaper you can get something with the same or better specs? Doesn't anybody care about build quality any more?

Another thing to consider might be the fact ZaReason promotes tinkering (apparently they ship their machines with a screwdriver). Self-serviceability anyone? After having fought with my wife's notebook for a simple wireless card upgrade for days (and just to have it all blow up in my face) ZaReason is starting to look mighty appealing and not at all that expensive.