PDA

View Full Version : wireless/wired usb keyboard suggestions

Megrimn
February 19th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Hey people.

I'm getting some birthday money to put towards a usb keyboard (turning 20 on Monday, omg).

So . . .

Any suggestions? preferably under $20-25usd and shippable within the US? Wireless is a plus. I don't mind keyboard/mouse bundles, either. I'm scouring Newegg as we speak.

handy
February 19th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I have a Belkin Wireless keyboard mouse set.

The keyboard is fine, & the 2x AAA batteries last for many months.

On the other hand, the wireless mouse chewed through batteries, to the point where I haven't used it for years.

I would only recommend a wireless mouse that can sit in a caddy when not being used & recharge its batteries.

I doubt you would get such a critter in side of your budget.

Warpnow
February 19th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Logitech's wireless kb/mouse sets are usually the best value and usually work out of the box in linux. I just got a model M on ebay for $9.99, but obviously, very different beasts...so what DO you care about in a keyboard?

cariboo
February 19th, 2010, 04:43 AM
If you get an RF cordless keyboard/mouse, remember that the encryption utility on works in Windows. IR or Bluetooth would probably be a better choice.

marshmallow1304
February 19th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I bought this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126013) earlier today. $20 shipped is not too shabby for 83% five-egg reviews. I probably should have gotten a combo though because my mouse is getting pretty broken due to the abuse it receives when I die in Savage 2. :D

Megrimn
February 19th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Logitech's wireless kb/mouse sets are usually the best value and usually work out of the box in linux. I just got a model M on ebay for $9.99, but obviously, very different beasts...so what DO you care about in a keyboard?

Well, I've never really shopped for one before. If it helps, I am planning to elevate my laptop when I have it on my desk (yay ergonomics) which makes the laptop keyboard useless. I'd like a full keyboard, possibly with media/shortcut keys. No ginormous enter key/tiny backspace key, that is so obnoxious...

I already have a wireless mouse that runs on one AA battery, and I didn't change the last one for almost 7 months.

I found a logitech mk300 keyboard in our local Staples ad for $30.. it was cheaper than what Newegg was offering, and has a lot of appealing features, including a manual on/off switch.

So I guess I'm willing to pay a little more for something more functional and durable as well.

cariboo
February 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I got this Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/promotional_items/devices/5693&cl=us,en) wireless keyboard/mouse at the local Staples for $30.00CDN about a year ago. I use it on my media center pc. I like the mouse, but the keyboard is pretty crummy, and there are no led indicators on the keyboard to tell you when the caps lock or numlock are on. I solved the capslock problem with a script I found that doesn't allow it to work.

The keyboard comes with a Windows only utility for the caps lock and numlock.

Megrimn
February 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM
no led indicators on the keyboard to tell you when the caps lock or numlock are on.

I checked the picture - yours and the one I looked at are virtually the same thing - even the num and caps indicators... not sure if I really need those though, the ones on my laptop don't even work all the time, especially the num one, and I haven't really had too many problems knowing when either were on or off.

It still seems appealing to me, though. I may go look at it in person, if they still have any in stock near by.

Megrimn
February 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Right, so I went with the MK300, which arrived today. I'm very happy with it so far in windows, next I'm going to try it with ubuntu....

[edit] Works awesomely with Ubuntu!