PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB 2 list

Droned
February 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Hello,

After each update of ubuntu I get a new line in my GRUB 2 boot list, I know I can delete this with the manager or delete the entries from the list but I don't find that this is a good idea.

Is there maybe an option like in grub, where I can say that they have only have to show the latest kernel? Like grub had the #howmany=1?

Thanks in advance.

satx
February 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Hello,

After each update of ubuntu I get a new line in my GRUB 2 boot list, I know I can delete this with the manager or delete the entries from the list but I don't find that this is a good idea.

Is there maybe an option like in grub, where I can say that they have only have to show the latest kernel? Like grub had the #howmany=1?

Thanks in advance.

I have wondered the same thing. I have a dual boot, and got good info on how to edit the config file so it defaults last in line (WIN 7 64). There has got to be a way to limit the number of entries given all the recent updates to the kernel- my list is getting quite long.](*,)](*,)](*,)

Grinr0th
January 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
To clean up the list you should remove the old kernels.
Here's a handy command to do that automatically for you.

First run this to be sure you're only removing the old kernels:

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | xargs sudo apt-get --dry-run remove

If this looks good for you (it should remove all kernels except the one you're running of course)
If you don't know for shure which version you're running type
uname -r This returns te version you're running.

Then remove the old kernels with this command:

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove

mrkazoodle
January 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I always remove old kernels through synaptic (system > admin > synaptic package management): search for "linux-image" (you'll like to sort the list by installed software) and delete the oldest version (mark for removal and apply the change). It automatically updates your grub menu.
I like this way better because I like doing it manually.
PS: I always keep one old kernel (better safe than sorry)