PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Folders formatting request

sidewalkcynic
February 19th, 2010, 01:20 AM
What I would like to have is an editing option in the file browser that creates a list of 10 folders that I can designate.

What i can do now is copy&paste the list of 10 folders, but that can be somewhat inconvenient, because I have to go and get the copy then return to the original folder to paste, and it distracts from the research that I am engaged at the time, especially since most of the time I am downloading web pages into the folder(s).

Anybody know of anything like that, out there?

added bonus: options like 3 folders, and 5 folders.

I wish I were a programmer

ByteJuggler
February 19th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I happened to see your post, I must say I'm not understanding what you want exatly. Can you clarify? (Can you not just have to windows open side-by-side?)

sidewalkcynic
February 19th, 2010, 01:50 AM
That's probably the better way to do it right now, and I am just not practiced at having two file browser tabs going - thanks.

still my idea of just clicking an option for 3, 5, or 10 folders would be premium.

ByteJuggler
February 19th, 2010, 01:57 AM
That's probably the better way to do it right now, and I am just not practiced at having two file browser tabs going - thanks.

still my idea of just clicking an option for 3, 5, or 10 folders would be premium.

OK but I still don't quite get what you're wanting -- do you want to be able to create e.g. 3,5,10 folders at once and name them (e.g. spreadsheet style) or do you want to select 3,5,10 and then copy/cut/paste them somewhere else, or what?

sidewalkcynic
February 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM
It's been a long, long, time since I have worked with a spreadsheet application, so i cannot confirm the question.

What I would like to do, is click, just like clicking <create folder>, and then a system of folders would be pasted, where ever, ready to receive files that I download from Wikipedia, and other sites. And the names of those ten folders would be already predesignated. I do not want to reveal those designations, but essentially it would be something similar to the Dewey Decimal system:

000 – Computer science, information & general works
100 – Philosophy and psychology
200 – Religion
300 – Social sciences
400 – Language
500 – Science (including mathematics)
600 – Technology
700 – Arts and recreation
800 – Literature
900 – History, geography, and biography

Ten folders ready to go, ready to receive Wikipedia page downloads.