PDA

View Full Version : use largest continuous freespace option not available

_nate
February 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I have four partitions on my netbook. I resized them to make space for ubuntu netbook remix but when I try to install ubuntu the use largest available freespace option is not available so I am not sure how to proceed. I am trying to install this on a asus eee 1005pe netbook and would like to keep windoze 7 installed as well.

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 01:01 AM
You can't proceed because hdds have limitation of 4 partitions. That's why the option is not offered by the installer. If you delete one of the partitions, you will get the option.

Make some planning how to re-organize your hdd layout because with 4 partitions the ubuntu installer can't create another one.

oldfred
February 19th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Win7 has probably used 2 primary partitions with its 100mb boot and its install. What are the other 2 partitions? If one is data, back it up and delete it. Then you can make an extended partition that can hold the data and the Ubuntu partitions as logical partitions inside the last primary/extended. If you cannot delete one of the existing you will not be able to install.

If one of the partitions already is an extended you will have to expand it to include the space you made available.