PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspicious about update

DarthSudaka
February 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hi, this may be a stupid question but I`m kind of suspicious.

I`m using Ubuntu 9.10 and since last week the Update Manager wants to updates some packages and make a new installation of another few, among others there are: alien, bsd-mailx, build-essential, html2text, lib-sendmail-perl, lsb and mailx.
I don`t have an older version of any of those packages so it seemed to me kind of suspicious that a regular ubuntu update would try to install them.
Is that ok? I mean, any of you also get those packages for install in package manager?

Sorry if that is too paranoid :P

Thanks

howefield
February 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Are you running google chrome ?

This is likely the application that wants to update with these dependancies.

Enigmapond
February 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Definitely. You have applications that needs these. It OK to let it do it. Anything that pops up like that let it update. No need for the paranoia...it's all good..:)

howefield
February 19th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Definitely. You have applications that needs these. It OK to let it do it. Anything that pops up like that let it update. No need for the paranoia...it's all good..:)

Actually, maybe not in this case.

crlang13
February 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
If you are paranoid about updates though, check the source. Although in this case you're fine, if you do feel paranoid about an update, check to make sure a random repository has been added sending you updates from an unknown source. This is highly highly unlikely seeing you have to have admin privileges to add the repository... But, if you're paranoid, I suppose it doesn't hurt to double check :p

DarthSudaka
February 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Like howefield said, it was chrome. More specifically this repo:
http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ STABLE MAIN

Thank you very much guys!! :D

howefield
February 19th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Like howefield said, it was chrome. More specifically this repo:
http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ STABLE MAIN

Thank you very much guys!! :D

Chrome is updating from version 5.307.7 to 5.307.9, but wants to install some really strange dependancies which as I understand it, will be fixed in the next update.