PDA

View Full Version : Whiles, SSH and Bash

crazycaveman
February 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to set up a script to update the passwd file nightly on a machine for NIS. In order to do this, I have to get the details from a 2nd machine through SSH. I have tried running the following command to no avail:

cat /tmp/users.lst | ssh user@server "while read username; do getent passwd $username >> /shared/folder/passwd.tmp; done"
and

ssh user@server "while read username; do getent passwd $username >> /shared/folder/passwd.tmp; done </shared/folder/users.lst"
However, it seems that the output of the cat command (nor the redirect) is not being piped over to the SSH session; the passwd.tmp file will be full of the "standard" users (root, ntp, etc.). I have tried putting the users.lst file on the shared folder for the pipe and it still won't work. Would anyone have some idea on how to do this? I know I can run the while loop locally and just use ssh for the getent, but I'd like to reduce the overhead as much as possible; I ran it that way originally and it took too long for my tastes. Thanks!

diesch
February 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
In

"while read username; do getent passwd $username >> /shared/folder/passwd.tmp; done"

the local shell replaces $username before the command is run. That is if in your local shell $username is 'foo' you are actually running

cat /tmp/users.lst | ssh user@server "while read username; do getent passwd foo >> /shared/folder/passwd.tmp; done"

Use '...' instead of "..."

crazycaveman
February 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks a lot, diesch; that did it!