PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is LAMP's "www" folder on Ubuntu 9.10?

AccesInterzis
February 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I`ve installed LAMP on ubuntu 9.10. Apache works. phpmyadmin works. Everything is great. But I can't get to "www" folder. Before I was running windows on my PC and for web development i was using easyphp and then it was pretty easy. I was making 2-3 clicks and I was getting in "www" folder of easyphp where i could do everything: create folders, files, download my wp blog from the server hosting and so on. No , how can I do all these on ubuntu? Because i tried to download my wp blog in "www" through filezilla and the system didn't let me to do anything in "www" folder of LAMP.

I recently installed ubuntu on my PC. It is the first time when i run an OS other than windows and i feel like a child who is learnig to walk. I got the old habits from windows and it is quite hard to work on ubuntu. But i am willing to learn ubuntu because i don't want to use cracked software anymore. At least as much as i can.

lewisforlife
February 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Should be /var/www

If you do not have permission to put files in /var/www it means that a different user owns the folder than you are using. You can do a

sudo chown [user] /var/www

to change the user of /var/www.

AccesInterzis
February 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I did what you taught me but it doesn't let me to open the root folder from File Browser. It tells I do not have permissions.

stlsaint
February 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
in terminal on system with apache run:

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/

AccesInterzis
February 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I fixed it. It works now. Thanks a lot.