PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and salutations...

DefStatic
February 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hello, just introducing myself.

I have now decided to not only lead a smoke free life (quit for 2 months now), but a Windows free life as well. I have OS X on my Dell Mini and now Ubuntu on my desktop. I was using a live version on a USB drive to ninja in and backup some files on a RAID I had setup and was going to have to reinstall Winodws Vista on (long story). And then when I went to reinstall Windows, I spent two hours trying to get it to acknowledge my RAID, and it wouldn't. Then I said screw it and broke the RAID and was going to just install on on of the drives, and it still failed. Fed up, I remembered that Ubuntu ran fine, so I decided to just install Ubuntu.

This is also somewhat of an experiment. I work for an IT company and one of my managers was spouting off about how Linux is impossible to use, so I am out to prove that I can live my personal life outside work without Linux. So far so good.

I have an Associates in Computer Technology and am a few classes away from my Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. I do have SOME Linux experience, mostly from a UNIX class I took that used Linux to tech the basics of UNIX. I aced the class, but that was something like 5 or 6 years ago.

Hopefully this place is n00b friendly. I do have an ace in the hole, being a friend at work who lives and breaths Linux. And hopefully I can get the help needed here to continue my life without Windows ;-)

BuffaloX
February 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
This is also somewhat of an experiment. I work for an IT company and one of my managers was spouting off about how Linux is impossible to use, so I am out to prove that I can live my personal life outside work without Linux. So far so good.

Without Linux?

Your boss is right, Linux is impossible to use.
The only reason I use it, is to prove to my friends that I'm capable of the impossible.

Actually Linux is quite user friendly IMO.
Most problems are because Linux is not preinstalled, or people expect Linux to behave in a certain way that they have become used to from using another OS.

May your Linux experience be a pleasant one. ;)

Sef
February 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Welcome and if you have any questions, be sure and post them.

Some like Ubuntu are very easy for anyone to install and use. Some like Slackware are definitely are more for those who are technically oriented.

Post Monkeh
February 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
i can understand that some people may find linux more awkward to use than windows, but anyone who finds it "impossible" shouldn't be allowed near a computer. it just takes a little work to get used to the differences between linux and whatever os you're used to