PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] please help really want ubunut but have a mojar problem

balkrish999
February 18th, 2010, 05:09 PM
please help me i realyy want ubuntu but i have a laptop with windows 7 and its 64 bit

and its got 1 had drive which is 300gb and i got 250gb of free space so

when i try to partion it i partion my drive i right click my hard drive which has 280gb free space and click on shrink and then selcte 20gb then go to unaclocated space and then click new voloume then i click next a couple of times and then i get this eppro please help

soz for bad spelling in a rush and fustracted then i really want this but might now get it

here the link for my problem it dont work ??? when i click on image

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ccscd1&s=6 thanks

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ccscd1&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ccscd1&s=6

http://http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ccscd1&s=6

balkrish999
February 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
hello can some1 please help me

darkod
February 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
This is a message about making the disk Dynamic from Basic, which you don't need to do. Leave the space as unallocated if you already made space by shrinking the windows partition. Ubuntu needs the space as unallocated.
Start the ubuntu installer and tell it to use Largest Available Free space.

balkrish999
February 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
i have windows 7 64 bit

can u please give the infomation on a step by step detial please

darkod
February 18th, 2010, 08:01 PM
The first step is to shrink the win7 partition to make space for ubuntu. Since you menioned unallocated space, it seems you already did this. Right?

If not, again open windows Disk Management and right click the win7 partition. Select Resize and select how much to resize. After that is done reboot win7 few times to do its disk checks.

Then boot with the ubuntu cd, Install Ubuntu option, and in step 4 when it asks where to install just select Use Largest Available Free space option.

That should be it.

balkrish999
February 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The first step is to shrink the win7 partition to make space for ubuntu. Since you menioned unallocated space, it seems you already did this. Right?

If not, again open windows Disk Management and right click the win7 partition. Select Resize and select how much to resize. After that is done reboot win7 few times to do its disk checks.

Then boot with the ubuntu cd, Install Ubuntu option, and in step 4 when it asks where to install just select Use Largest Available Free space option.

That should be it.

so the unallocatd space which i created i do not need to format it i just leave it as unallocated ( finally i hope this is it )

i tired again and agin to format that rubbish because i saw it on utube and they formated it

so tell me last thing shall i leave it unallocatd or shall i format the unallocated space:):P

darkod
February 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
DO NOT format it ,especially not in windows because it can only format it as ntfs and linux doesn't install on ntfs. It runs on its own filesystem like ext4.
I don't know what you were looking at on youtube, but just leave the space as unallocated and run the ubuntu installer.

balkrish999
February 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
i think u solved my prblem BUT so this is what i do

1) create unallocated space on my laptop using the 250gb hdd which has my os windows 7 on it

click on my computer and click on the cd (ubunut)

install it on the unacollcted space

bang i get a dual boot right

thanks man i love u if this works!!!!!:):):):): im soooo excited i really want ubuntu!!!! so is this right !"!!!!!!!!!

balkrish999
February 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM
hello can you help me when u sed this

That should be it.

i dont understand can u give me scrreen shot on this

what do u mean by use largest avalbie free space

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I can't find a screenshot of that right now. If you have already created unallocated space, then in the step 4 of the ubuntu installer there will be option Use Largest Continuous Free space among the other options.
The other options should be Install Side-by-Side, and Manual (Advanced)... Something like that.

If you don't have the Use Largest Continuous Free space option shown, that means you don't have any unallocated space on the hdd.

balkrish999
February 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
i have created the un allocted space

if i chose the option u sed will i get a dual boot?

also shall i boot the cd from windows of shut my laptop then boot it from boot menue ( i booted it from te boot menue b4 i shut me laptop and then booted the cd

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Of course you will. Don't be confused by the other option called SIde-by-Side. Both win7 and ubuntu will be side by side anyway, you have only one hdd so they nowhere to go. :)
But side-by-side is used only if the installer is resizing win7 for you, and you already did that yourself.

Just select the option to install into the free space and you're OK.

PS. Put the cd in the drive but don't start any install process and just restart the laptop. That's the best.

balkrish999
February 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM
please can u show me a scrren shot on what i have to do? beacuse thers different colours on the top part on the part 4 of the installation , shall i show you my disk management of what i have done so far ?

darkod
February 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I already told you I can't find a screenshot right now. I told you 10 times how do you install. You either do it, or not. Your choice.

If you're so scared to do it ask someone with more experience to help you. I can't help more than I already did.

balkrish999
February 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM
ok thanks i will do it in 2 hours (scanning my pc now thanks for all ur help will try it ur way::):):):)) bye thanks !!!!!!!

kansasnoob
February 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
If you're still confused look here:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm?page=3

balkrish999
February 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
hello i have created the unallcoed space using the windows 7 disk mamangement

but when i boot from the cd of ubuntu when i get to step 4 it only gives me 2 option

using entires disk space

or selcete manually

where is the free space option i have created the unallocaed space why is this happening ??? what shall i do ?

here is the image for my disk management in windows 7

http://yfrog.com/5mpicofmageddiskj

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9240/picofmageddisk.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/i/picofmageddisk.jpg/)
when on the installation on step 4 i only get 2 options where the othere one ????

i get the options
use entire disk
specify partions manually (adbance)
BUT WHERE IS THE : USE THE LARGEST CONTINUS FREE SPACE OPTION?????

darkod
February 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM
You already have 4 partitions on your hdd, and that's the limit. It doesn't depend on ubuntu, all hdds today have 4 partitions limit.
That's why it's not offering that option to you because it can't create a 5th partition, it's not possible.
Look through your manual, there should be a procedure to create restore DVDs which you can use instead of the restore partition which is on your hdd. After you create these DVDs you don't need that partition any more and you can delete it.
After that you will have no problems installing ubuntu and also the space currently taken by the recovery partition will become unallocated which you can use for the ubuntu install.

balkrish999
February 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
i have made the recovey disks but i dont want to delte the recovey partions as they will viod my warrenty isnt there any other way??? what are the other 2 partions for

1 isa for my os windows 7

1nd for recovey

what r the other 2 for ??? cant i delte them and not delte that recovery partion

if u lok in the image on the above link can i delte that 96mb partion with hp tools ??? whats dat for ??? will it carsh my laptop if i delte it ?

darkod
February 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Who said it will void your warranty? I remember this exact case on this forum where also because of 4 partitions ubuntu couldn't be installed, and when that person spoke to HP Support it was them who recommended restore DVDs to be created and the partition to be deleted.
They're simply using too many partitions for nothing.
I can't say for 100% whether you can delete HP Tools or what does it contain. It's probably safe to delete it but I can't be sure.
Also that partition called System, it depends what it has on it. It might have win7 files and it won't boot without it.
Ask HP Support about the recovery partition if you want to be sure, or also about the other partitions. You paid for their product, ask support to tell you what is safe to be deleted.

balkrish999
February 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
ok thanks i will contact hp and tell them my problem

balkrish999
February 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hello i contact hp and i have removeed that partion

i click on use largest contiunous free space

i now have a dual boot with windows 7 and ubuntu ( i love ubuntu !!!!!:):):))

but at the start i get a gurb loader i think

and it gives me 5 options

i dont know what they all are and im not clicking on them i just click on the ubuntu and windows 7 loader theres vista loader and other stuff

in my pervious laptop i had a dual boot with vista and 7 and on the start it gave me 2 opetion vista or 7

and before i install ubuntu i could to to the bios and use f12 etc for revoery

how do i do this now ??? the grub is there ehat shall i do

also can i only have ubuntu and windows 7 instaed of that vista loader etc and the other stuff

darkod
February 27th, 2010, 09:46 PM
The Vista entry seems to be your recovery partition. Even though it's for win7 it can be wrongly recognized as vista. So if you want the recovery partition sometimes select that vista entry. But only if you really need it, otherwise just selecting that sometimes can mess up your grub bootloader.

You can remove the memtest entry if you want by running:

sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+
sudo update-grub

That will make the menu a bit smaller.
Enjoy ubuntu now, you deserved it. :)

balkrish999
February 27th, 2010, 09:56 PM
can u help me on this

ubuntu is with a dual boot with windows 7 and the problem is

when i on my laptop and hit the esc button

i get the 5 options then when i try to click on f12 the recovey part the grub loader comes with the windows opetions ??? why is this cant i go on the recovey

beacuse be4 ubuntu i would hit esc and then clcik on recvoey manger and it worked
now when i do that after clicking recovery manger it loads grub loader ?? so how can i go to the recovey manger

darkod
February 27th, 2010, 10:32 PM
There is no need to hit Esc and F12 now. You have only ubuntu and win7 on the computer right? But the grub menu also shows Vista Loader. That is your recovery partition. It also has boot files and is detected as Vista Loader.

So, don't hit any buttons, just let grub show the menu. And if sometimes you need the recovery partition (hopefully not), just select the Vista Loader and press Enter.

But don't try it to test it, because sometimes the recovery process starts and can delete grub before you can abort it.

balkrish999
February 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
but cant i have a normal boot loader with just 7 and ubuntu and i have the abolity to use f12

Mark Phelps
February 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM
but cant i have a normal boot loader with just 7 and ubuntu and i have the abolity to use f12

Basically no -- not without a lot of work ...

The new GRUB detects all the kernels and OSs it can find and automatically builds a menu of them. This is to save folks from having to do that manually -- as was done back in the GRUB legacy days.

Customizing that requires (1) disabling the default GRUB2 script files, and (2) hand-writing new custom script files to take their place.

Unless you have a lot of experience writing scripts and understand exactly what you're doing, you would do better leaving it alone. If you corrupt your boot scripts tinkering with them, you run the risk of rendering the system unbootable.

As to the F12 recovery, given that you already said you removed something, it's likely that WAS the recovery partition, in which case, you will NOT be able to boot into it anymore.