PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router/card debugging ideas

hwttdz
February 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Edit: I suppose there is no mark as solved in this forum, but this thread is solved. Was posted here (as opposed to the hardware forum) as I thought it was a hardware problem unrelated to ubuntu. Original post follows.

So my wireless connection seems to have flaked out. I get a strong signal and a connection, but I cannot get any internet data. I also cannot ssh to my local area network ip (i.e. 192.168.1.X). This is somewhat confusing to me as the router is clearly broadcasting a signal and card is clearly picking up the routers signal, but something somewhere along the line is going wrong. I'm currently leaning towards replacing the router. And I figure that this might be a good time to start moving towards an n network. Anyways let me know if you have any thoughts on debugging, figuring out if this is a router problem or card problem or new hardware suggestions.

blueturtl
February 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I just recently replaced a router (Linksys) that behaved this way. Apparently buggy software in the router.

Does resetting the router fix the issue temporarily? If it does the router firmware might need an update.

hwttdz
February 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have not done a reset to factory settings I will try that. Apparently holding down the reset button for 45 seconds doesn't get you a reset to factory settings.

blueturtl
February 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
What exact router is this?

Factory settings should not be necessary, a simple restart should restore the router to functional status.

hwttdz
February 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Amazingly a firmware upgrade seems to have fixed the problem (at least at the moment). Which saves me from having to invest in a new card/router. Thank you for prompting me to do that.

Also I learned that my router can do hardware compression before sending packets over the wlan. Now it's possibly working better than it was before it crapped out.

blueturtl
February 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Good for you. Hope it stays fixed. May the spirit Ubuntu haunt your house. :)