PDA

View Full Version : I hate this stage!

Dragonbite
February 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
You know the stage; the next version of Ubuntu is about 2 months off, but I want it NOW so I can get my computers set up the way I want and I don't want to have to wait!

See, I have a family and currently they are using a computer running Ubuntu 9.04. While the kids aren't so bad, my wife doesn't handle a lot of change very well.

I have a second desktop which is slightly faster, but has 2.5 GB of Ram (compared to 512 MB on the current machine). I have 1 hard drive installed with Windows 7 and I am planning on putting a second hard drive in there to run Ubuntu Linux.

Since I need the system to not change much, I am going to put the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and try to leave it there until (Purring Pussycat?) 12.04 LTS!

Then I can take the current desktop, look at either getting a TV tuner card and use it as a media center, or get a SATA drive and some ram and use it as a (virtualized) server (file/web/domain/etc.).

BUT I HAVE TO WAIT 2 MONTHS BEFORE LUCID IS OUT!!](*,)

So until then, to use Windows I have to manually move the monitor (DVI connection so my KMD doesn't work) and the network cable (the hole in the floor isn't big enough for 2, and I don't want to chop it any bigger plus my switch is already in use).

I hate this in-between stage. And it gets worse because I'm a distro hopper and I have finally realized that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to having a stable, consistent environment!

Thankfully I have a laptop, with 3 hard drives available, to swap out and install as my mood swings (though I keep coming back to Ubuntu).

So when the end of April rolls around, or actually around May, I'm going to be a (happily) busy puppy installing 10.04, backing up and restoring their /home directory, testing it out and cleaning up the computer desk space, and figuring out how I'm going to re-setup the servers! At least move the server up to 10.04 (I've added some things I want to remove, so this will be the best opportunity).

Giant Speck
February 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
So essentially, you're simply saying that you're impatient? :P

arnab_das
February 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
i'm also a bit impatient but i'm also unwilling to download an alpha release as of now. remember the karmic episode? it was still very buggy when the stable version came out. and this is alpha we are talking about? :D

anyway, i think ubuntu needs to have an upgrading process which works. i have upgraded twice in the past and both times, the installation screwed up and i had to reinstall ubuntu all over again. this needs to change.

SuperSonic4
February 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Install the development version?

Dragonbite
February 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
So essentially, you're simply saying that you're impatient? :P

Totally! Only really when it comes to Linux distros though.

It think it is also in part because I know I want Ubuntu, but between now and 10.04's release I might find something "shinier" which takes my attention in a directio I know is counter-productive! :p

i'm also a bit impatient but i'm also unwilling to download an alpha release as of now. remember the karmic episode? it was still very buggy when the stable version came out. and this is alpha we are talking about? :D

anyway, i think ubuntu needs to have an upgrading process which works. i have upgraded twice in the past and both times, the installation screwed up and i had to reinstall ubuntu all over again. this needs to change.

I've only had the chance to run the upgrade once, and it worked alright for me.

Of course the move to Ext4 and Grub2 kinda mess up that upgrade process because in order to take advantage of these you HAVE to do a full install. I mean, if you are going to backup, re-format the partition and then return the OS just to upgrade it you might as well just backup your files and do a full install and be done with it.

swoll1980
February 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I hate the 3rd stage of Ninja Gaiden when you have to jump unto that pillar, and there's that guy sitting there waiting to knock you off of it, if you manage to make it past the bird that flies at you as soon as you jump. Freakin' imposable!

Psumi
February 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Before you go installing lucid (the default K/X/L/ubuntu ISOs)... you might want to also check the "Plymouth: Grunge Screen" thread I made.

arnab_das
February 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
10.04 is prolly gonna be my last shot at ubuntu, after which i will shift to kubuntu.

gnome3 with that shell thingy, dunno bout u but i will miss compiz. the cubes et al. okay i know its only flashy stuff and nothing that matters, but still i love some hocus pocus on my desktop, if u know what i mean. :D

Dragonbite
February 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Before you go installing lucid (the default K/X/L/ubuntu ISOs)... you might want to also check the "Plymouth: Grunge Screen" thread I made.

What is the Grunge Screen?

10.04 is prolly gonna be my last shot at ubuntu, after which i will shift to kubuntu.

gnome3 with that shell thingy, dunno bout u but i will miss compiz. the cubes et al. okay i know its only flashy stuff and nothing that matters, but still i love some hocus pocus on my desktop, if u know what i mean. :D

That's another reason to go to the LTS and stick with it; it basically gives you 2 years for them to shake out Gnome 3 and to get used to how it is different.

I'm going to have to wait and see about Gnome 3. I've been fooling around with some KDE and I am realizing that I do prefer Gnome for whatever reason.

arnab_das
February 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
That's another reason to go to the LTS and stick with it; it basically gives you 2 years for them to shake out Gnome 3 and to get used to how it is different.

I'm going to have to wait and see about Gnome 3. I've been fooling around with some KDE and I am realizing that I do prefer Gnome for whatever reason.

+1

also, i wonder if cannical is actually gonna implement gnome3 even on 10.10, considering gnome3 releases only in September.

unknownPoster
February 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
If you are that impatient you could always consider switching to a rolling release distribution.

Dragonbite
February 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
If you are that impatient you could always consider switching to a rolling release distribution.

I did my time with Gentoo. Plus, my goal is to set-it-and-forget-it since the desktop will be used primarily by the rest of the family and I have my own laptop for scratching the distro-"itch"

+1

also, i wonder if cannical is actually gonna implement gnome3 even on 10.10, considering gnome3 releases only in September.

There will still be 11.04 and 11.10 before the next LTS is on the radar screen, plus if Ubuntu doesn't there is always the possibility Fedora does so I can get my hands on it and "try before I buy" ;)

toupeiro
February 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Dual boot?

chucky chuckaluck
February 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
would you be happier with a rolling release distro, or is this like the child's joyful pain anticipating christmas?

NoaHall
February 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Debian. I'm just sayin'. Debian. Set-and-forget. Debian. You'll get more problems with Ubuntu.

Dragonbite
February 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM
would you be happier with a rolling release distro, or is this like the child's joyful pain anticipating christmas?

I wanna Easter Egg!
I wanna Easter Egg!
I wanna Easter Egg!

Yes, this is like a joyful pain. :)

Psumi
February 19th, 2010, 08:11 AM
What is the Grunge Screen?

This screen...

http://i48.tinypic.com/2jcv0k.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/i77bf8.jpg

It ONLY happens when plymouth is installed. When using usplash, xsplash or no boot splash at all, this does not happen. It even happens on Fedora 12 stable (which is what is pictured in these photos.)

Dragonbite
February 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
This screen...

It ONLY happens when plymouth is installed. When using usplash, xsplash or no boot splash at all, this does not happen. It even happens on Fedora 12 stable (which is what is pictured in these photos.)

I'm lucky, I haven't run across that yet. I have been fooling around with Fedora 12 (I am a distro hopper.. with 3 hard drives for my laptop in trays so I can switch them out like game cartridges) and I've never seen or heard about this.

Ubuntu and Fedora use Plymouth?

Psumi
February 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Ubuntu

10.04 will use plymouth instead of xsplash and usplash.

This screen only comes up if I have things customized in the BIOS or I have a non-default resolution (IE: 1024x768.)

CharlesA
February 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Interesting.

Dragonbite
February 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Well, the only way I'm going to find out is when 10.04 is released and I give it a whirl!

Of course, it isn't going to make the wait any easier ;)

As-is, I am thinking of setting up the second hard drive in the box with 9.10 just to get it prepped, and then when 10.04 is released I can clean-install the root part, and run one more backup-restore of the /home files from their current desktop.

If testing it comes back clean, then I'll be able to do the switch and make their current desktop dissappear since all of their files/settings should be moved.

So I've been cleaning things up in preparation; it's amazing how much JUNK I collect in my own /home directory!

Psumi
February 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
So I've been cleaning things up in preparation; it's amazing how much JUNK I collect in my own /home directory!

I always reinstall. When I do this, everything gets nuked, wiped, etc. All my settings, etc.

Not hard to get back though to be honest. I never keep logs (IE: Pidgin logs) for a reinstall, because they only contribute to the cruft.

Dragonbite
February 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'm looking to do rsync of files from one location to the other.

I know it is going to bring in a lot of extra crud, but on the other hand it has the best chance of being like it was when they last used it (on the old machine). So far it will all fit on my 8 GB USB drive, which makes it very easy ;)

CharlesA
February 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I do clean installs when I do new releases. I've got a script that I run thru that gets everything installed for me and copies the settings I want.

I run it in a VM first to make sure nothing gets broken when I run the script, since things change between releases.

arnab_das
February 19th, 2010, 05:50 PM
i'm seriously itching to upgrade right now! :D

Dragonbite
February 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM
i'm seriously itching to upgrade right now! :d
+1

Simian Man
February 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
This screen...

That happens when your graphics driver doesn't support KMS. To fix it, you can specify a known resolution on the boot prompt. Here (http://www.derekhildreth.com/blog/how-to-enable-graphical-boot-with-plymouth-fedora-tip)is how you do that. 792 should work with most setups.

It's really not such a big deal as you seem to think. I imagine Ubuntu could even have that happen by default for drivers that don't support KMS.

Actually Ubuntu uses Grub2 now, so I don't know how you configure it, but I'm sure someone does.

anaconda
February 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I have the 10.04 on a separate partition, and it works very well....

Why wont you try it?

Dragonbite
February 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I have the 10.04 on a separate partition, and it works very well....

Why wont you try it?

Possibly on my laptop, after my presentation on backing up in Linux. Otherwise, the target system is a "production" system, which needs to be stable and consistant as possible for the users (the rest of the family).

MaxIBoy
February 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
That's why I dual-boot with Debian and use Ubuntu (well, Mint) as a backup OS only.