PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I just installed Ubuntu, now I want the MMORPG Star Trek Online...

Karirae2010
February 18th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I just downloaded Ubuntu and it's great. But now I put my game disc in and tried to install. first it sees it as a DVD on the desktop, and i tried to install it but it keeps getting an error. What do i do????? :)

Dies
February 18th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I just downloaded Ubuntu and it's great. But now I put my game disc in and tried to install. first it sees it as a DVD on the desktop, and i tried to install it but it keeps getting an error. What do i do????? :)

Install Windows and try again. ;)

Or link to the page where it shows minimum requirements that include anything other than Windows...

robertneville777
February 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Install Windows and try again. ;)

Or link to the page where it shows minimum requirements that include anything other than Windows...

Eff that! Check the Wine forums and see if it runs.:guitar:

Dies
February 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Eff that! Check the Wine forums and see if it runs.:guitar:

Yeah, O.K. Go ahead, install Wine, then search the net, jump through some hoops, maybe use winetricks, add a few dll's and edit some configuration files. If you manage to make it through all that, good for you, you'll be able to load it and check out how may things are broken.

But after that, if you really want to just play the game, go ahead and install Windows. ;)

robertneville777
February 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Ah damn it, you win Dies! You're absolutely right. There's a hell of a lot of loops you'd have to jump through. They have gotten it to run under Wine, but's it's just not practical right now for the average Ubuntu user.

Sorry for blowin up at you Dies! I guess the mention of Windows gets me a stirrin!

robertneville777
February 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah, too many hacks for Wine.

pappo
February 18th, 2010, 10:39 PM
You could take a look at this link:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=57815&page=14

There are some people trying to do just what you asked.

robertneville777
February 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
You could take a look at this link:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=57815&page=14

There are some people trying to do just what you asked.

Yeah pappo, I was looking at that earlier...I don't think they've had much success yet, but I could be wrong.