PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to install Avira...anyone?

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I just downloaded the avira package for ubuntu 9.10 but, I haven't the slightest clue of how to install the program. What do I need to type in the terminal to install avira? Do I need anything else? What's this dazuko things I keep coming across?

wilee-nilee
February 18th, 2010, 01:06 AM
What type of download is it a deb or tar. Also Klamav is a good scanner that can also scan MS partitions. Actually you don't need either really, in that they are looking for MS stuff which shouldn't affect a Linux setup theoretically.

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Well i'm new to linux and although it's been spectacular so far, I don't want to take my chances. ecspecially since i plan on using Transmission. I don't know which type of file it is. I suppose i'll look for the one that's easiest to install (Spoken like a windows use, I know).

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 01:41 AM
oh, just kidding. It's a tar.

wilee-nilee
February 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Some Tar's can be double clicked then extracted and a installer is in the folder, I am not sure of this in Avira though.

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Yes, there is an install document. However, it's pretty long, don't know how to read it. and the README file isn't much help either.

pirateghost
February 18th, 2010, 02:52 AM
i have to ask, why do you think you need an antivirus?

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 03:17 AM
just for added protection. I want to use Transmission

pirateghost
February 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
just for added protection. I want to use Transmission
and what does transmission have to do with it?

do you plan on sharing with windows computers?

what exactly do you think you are protecting a linux computer from?

2hot6ft2
February 18th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Are you aware that ubuntu already has an antivirus installed by default?

Check
Applications > System Tools > Virus Scanner
If it's not there it may be in one of the other menus like Accessories
That's just for the gui for it if you can't find the gui in the menus you can install it by going to
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and putting in

sudo apt-get install clamtk
when you type in your password it wont be displayed just type it in and hit enter.
Then it will be there

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 03:55 AM
nope, not planning on sharing, just looking for protection.

I didn't know there was a virus scanner on this thing. I had avira when i was using windows and it worked pretty well. I guess that solves this problem.

2hot6ft2
February 18th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I just downloaded the avira package for ubuntu 9.10 but, I haven't the slightest clue of how to install the program. What do I need to type in the terminal to install avira? Do I need anything else? What's this dazuko things I keep coming across?

Dazuko-based Applications (http://dazuko.dnsalias.org/wiki/index.php/Dazuko-based_Applications)
It's used by several linux antivirus applications like clamav

Iokua86
February 18th, 2010, 04:40 AM
gotcha. I appreciate it

chuckh1958
May 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM
i have to ask, why do you think you need an antivirus?

Why do you think you DONT need an antivirus program? It's a common misconception that linux is not susceptible to viruses and malware and thats simply not true. A google search of "linux malware" will turn up thousands of hits.