PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation without a CD reader

Chris62
February 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hi,

Could someone help me with this problem, please? I have an EeePC 4G and I want to replace its operating system (Xandros) with Xubuntu. The EeePC has not got an optical drive and I don't want to go to the expense of buying an external USB optical drive because it would only be used once in all probability. My desktop machine is connected to a WiFi router as also is the EeePC. Would it be possible to run the Xubuntu CD in my desktop machine, which is running Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows, and connect the EeePC to the desktop and install Xubuntu onto the EeePC via the wireless link?

If this is possible how do I get the EeePC and the desktop machine to talk to each other? I have never used my WiFi system to access other computers in the house; it is only used at the moment so that several computers can all access the internet at the same time so I have no idea about how to access one of the other computers here

Cabs21
February 17th, 2010, 05:52 PM
you could always use a Live USB and boot to that then install from there.

pirateghost
February 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
unetbootin+iso+USB thumbdrive=easy install

C.S.Cameron
February 18th, 2010, 04:53 AM
You could also download the iso to your Eee and use UNetbootin to install to C drive, (this makes sort of a virtual Live CD. The next time you boot the Eee you will get the option to install Xubuntu from the virtual Live CD

Chris62
February 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Many thanks Cabs21, pirateghost and C.S. Cameron. I have now successfully installed Xubuntu using Unetbootin