PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Back up in jaunty

sathyamganesh
February 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I HAVE INSTALLED UBUNTU 9.04 (JAUNTY) THROUGH WUBI INSTALLER IN ONE OF MY PARTITION (FULL PARTITION 17 GB) WITH DUAL BOOT IN WIN XP.

NOW I WISH TO BACKUP ALL MY APPLICATIONS. BECAUSE IN FUTURE IF I AM FORCED TO UNINSTALL UBUNTU (DUE TO ERROR IN BOOT OR ANY OTHER REASON), I DON'T WISH TO REDOWNLOAD & REINSTALL ALL MY APPLICATIONS AGAIN.

PLEASE LET ME HAVE ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS.

Sathyamganesh

Hansmc
February 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I know where you are at. It takes me a week (of evenings) or two after a clean install to get all my programs back and running. There is no essay way to do it but aptoncd may help. Read about it here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/APTonCD. It saves having to down load every thing again, but that is all. You will have to install them all again. Some say it will not work from one version of Ubuntu to the next. I think package manger should be smart enough to down load any packages that are out dated before the install, but I would not risk it. You may also consider doing a full system backup. I never have, my system is so messed up by the time I do an upgrade that I always do a clean install. Just make sure you have all your data backed-up and the people on this forum should be able to help you recover from about anything. I always keep a list of all the programs I installed or removed and their package name, because the program name and package name do not always match. Hope this helps. Some others may have better ideas.