PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What to expect from minimal cd image.

aklo
February 17th, 2010, 05:21 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

To install, boot your computer from the the Minimal CD and type "cli" (command line install) at the prompt. You can then follow the instructions from the text-based installer. After the base system installed, log in, and type "tasksel" to select the system to install.

How easy is it to install this minimal cd? Is it for the advance user or like me an average user? Basically i know the softwares i need like firefox, transmission, inkscape, gimp + some essential programs for songs/movies and i only need those and a gnome/kde desktop environment. Will i be able to do those easily? assuming the only command i know the most is only sudo apt-get install "something"

mikewhatever
February 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
If you need KDE/Gnome desktop environments, I would recommend using the standard Ubuntu/Kubuntu isos. The minimal installation is intended for those machines and users who do not want KDE/Gnome, and is somewhat on the advanced side, as it uses a text based interface. At the end of the installation, you get a command like system with no graphical tools of any kind.

snowpine
February 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I agree with mikewhatever. The standard Ubuntu CD will give you everything on your list (except Inkscape, which is easily installed) in under 20 minutes.

mkvnmtr
February 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I have done a number of minimal installs and I like them. I do not get all the junk that comes with a normal install. There are a number of tutiorals you can google up with ubuntu minimal install. I can get a very workable system started with just the first command being to install xorg, synaptic and xfce4. Then you startx and have a desktop and a package manager to work with. All that being said it is probably not for a first timer and it is not quicker than a normal install. It just leaves me with a much lighter system.

aklo
February 18th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the inputs.

Yes what i want is a really light system as i find that i don't use like 90% of the programs that comes with the original ISO. Infact i can list the programs i used (everything) and you won't get bored.

For the time needed to do all those downloading, i'm fine with it since i have plenty of time and a fairly fast connection.

As a matter of fact, i am not worried about text based installation. I'm more worried about the names of the basic programs like xorg, etc things that i do not now that are essential for a working ubuntu/kubuntu.

Finally, i know the easier way is to install a normal ubuntu then uninstall the programs that i don't need but i don't feel good about that.