PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox Linux petition

bruno9779
February 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Please sign the petition at slingbox for providing a linux client!!

http://sling.uservoice.com/pages/3116-sling-com-live-tv-player/suggestions/40776-linux?ref=title%3C/p%3E

They have been showing some interest in developing a linux client, some more signatures on the petition (give 3 votes while you are at it, please) may get the ball running

sudoer541
February 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Not happening lol

Twitch6000
February 17th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Do you think petitions solve everything?

I have seen this many times. Why the heck do people think it will work...

bruno9779
February 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
whatever.

Scratch your armpits instead

ibuclaw
February 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Not that I really want to be saying this, but please bare in mind the tone you are setting in your replies. The OP started this thread with positive intentions. If you can't upkeep them, and choose instead to bash each other, then this thread will be closed.

Do you think petitions solve everything?

I have seen this many times. Why the heck do people think it will work...
Petitions with targets. ie: "We need Nth signed petitions before we do XYZ" are by and large, meaningless, and I would use it as a "consideration" point, if confronted by such a petition to make me do anything.

mickie.kext
February 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
What's a slingbox?

ibuclaw
February 17th, 2010, 10:28 PM
What's a slingbox?

Seems to be a box which allows you to watch telly from your own TV over the internet, for when you are not at home. (reference (http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox))

In the UK, we have Sky+ TV recorders (set timers on which channel to record, and when - then watch the shows when you get home), and BBC IPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/) to do that for us. :)

bruno9779
February 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
let's see.

Slingbox is a streming service, that can stream channels from other countries.
I do not watch telly, I haven't for years, but my wife works for a TV production company that is based on another continent. Slingbox is the only way she has to watch some key programs in real time enough to matter.

The petition in question, has already received positive comments from slingmedia, that claims being at work on a Linux version (earlier versions worked in wine).

If you do not want to sign a petition just don't.
If you Sign a petition probably nothing will change, if you don't sign it, SURELY nothing will change.

bruno9779
February 17th, 2010, 10:52 PM

ivarn
November 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Not to bump up an old one but I think I should.
The thing is, if you sign this then maybe nothing will happen but seriously guys, it takes 2 sec of your life, and it's still worth a try. If many people sign it, the page will get bumped up on google, then more people will sign it and Sling will start thinking "wow, we seriously lose money by not having a linux version".
I mean literally all the replies on this thread above me are negative.
"No it won't work, this is dumb, nothing will happen". Well, with that attitude, nothing will happen, and linux will never get the software people want. So yea.