PDA

View Full Version : Which Games console do you like?

MichealH
February 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Who makes the best consoles?

Cabs21
February 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Nintendo makes the best console in regards to working hardware and innovation however third party games/accessories are always below par. Nintendo writes the best games for the Wii since they have the best understanding of it's limitations and abilities. Xbox has the best library of games* and best on-line support but is most likely to crash. (I like both Xbox and Nintendo) The PS3 is most powerful but not much better then xbox when it comes to graphics and such also on-line is littered with Hacks and has worst library of games* of all three systems.

*Note: Library of games is referring to exclusive games for that system, example Legend of Zelda series is exclusive to Nintendo.

BLAH BLAH BLAH I talk to much.

BrokenKingpin
February 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have a Xbox 360. It is a decent game console, and Xbox Live is well implemented (paying for it sucks though).

That being said I am pretty sure this is the last console I will ever buy. For one, the games are just too much money. $70 + taxes for a games is just absurd. On top of that game companies think it is OK to hack out half the game and sell it as DLC on the day of release. There are just too many shady practices going on right now on consoles to support them anymore. Back to PC gaming for me.

EDIT: The best console in terms of hardware would probably the the PS3, as the Xbox 360 has issues with the red ring of death.

Nevon
February 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Historically I've always liked Nintendo. However, lately the range of third-party games haven't been that great, and the Wii is just too gimmicky for me. I borrowed my brother's Xbox 360 for a couple of months, and it was pretty good. Too bad the hardware is prone to going belly up, and the online service is crazy expensive.

The PS3 is simply out of my price range, and the library of games isn't very impressive.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I recently bought a PS3, which I have wanted to do for years, but they were always too expensive.

They dropped the price by $200-+ late last year, so I'm in.

It is great, a very polished system. :)

PuddingKnife
February 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Well, Sega doesnt make consoles anymore, unless you're counting arcade machines, and Im not even sure they make those anymore either.

So yea.. the Dreamcast was my favorite console ever.

But I voted for Nintendo anyway.

The Real Dave
February 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Wii for the Win :D

Nintendo have always been there for innovation. The DS, the Wii, even the Gameboy :) Third party games aren't great, but Nintendo's games, especially Wii Sports Resort, are awesome. My whole family can play them together. As opposed to an XBox or Playstation which would be just for me. So for sheer playability and fun, Nintendo for me :)

Firestem4
February 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Sony PS3 is awesome. It has its own downsides compared to other consoles, but overall an amazing piece of hardware.

I love my Xbox360 but ive owned 4 of them (all replacements due to failing hardware). Its annoying, and XboxLive is good, but I am canelling my sub. PSN is much better and its free.

Sega Dreamcast was also an amazing console. I still have mine and its in working condition. Much better than the 360 =P

I also really like my PSP.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM
@Firestem4: I have only had my PS3 for a week (& loving it:) ) so I don't know too much about its features yet.

Meaning, what is the story regarding online play?

Is it ALL free?

That would be nice... :)

E.g. If I buy say, Final Fantasy XIII, will I have to pay a monthly fee?

Chame_Wizard
February 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Have a PS3 and a PSP.:popcorn:

Firestem4
February 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
@Firestem4: I have only had my PS3 for a week (& loving it:) ) so I don't know too much about its features yet.

Meaning, what is the story regarding online play?

Is it ALL free?

That would be nice... :)

E.g. If I buy say, Final Fantasy XIII, will I have to pay a monthly fee?

The Playstation Network is free to access unlike Microsofts Xbox Live account. You must pay to even browser their content.

However any content may or may not be free. Like movies or games.

And if Final Fantasy is a console MMO, you may well have to pay for the MMO access to the game.

The same game on Xbox, you need to pay for XBoxLive & the Subscription fee to the game.

subdivision
February 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I got more entertainment out of my C64 than I have with dedicated gaming consoles (although you might argue that the C64 came pretty close...).

I don't think I could point to a gaming console that I like best. I've accumulated a bunch of them over the years and each one has games that I really enjoy. Hell, two of my favorite RPGs have their best releases on the Sega CD (in my opinion).

handy
February 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Playstation Network is free to access unlike Microsofts Xbox Live account. You must pay to even browser their content.

However any content may or may not be free. Like movies or games.

And if Final Fantasy is a console MMO, you may well have to pay for the MMO access to the game.

The same game on Xbox, you need to pay for XBoxLive & the Subscription fee to the game.

I still don't have a clear understanding, so I'll ask another question in the pursuit of clear understanding. :-|

"And if Final Fantasy is a console MMO, you may well have to pay for the MMO access to the game."

What does that mean? If I buy the game, & it is only a MMO, & it is a PS3 game that I bought, do I have to pay more to use it on the PSN?

Yes
February 17th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Meh I don't really think it matters. If I bought a console now it'd be an Xbox, if only because that's what my friends all have so I could play online with them and borrow their games.

Icehuck
February 17th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I still don't have a clear understanding, so I'll ask another question in the pursuit of clear understanding. :-|

"And if Final Fantasy is a console MMO, you may well have to pay for the MMO access to the game."

What does that mean? If I buy the game, & it is only a MMO, & it is a PS3 game that I bought, do I have to pay more to use it on the PSN?

If you buy Final Fantasy 13 you won't be paying a monthly fee. You may want your money back after playing it though.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 10:49 PM
If you buy Final Fantasy 13 you won't be paying a monthly fee. You may want your money back after playing it though.

I was just using it as an example.

& thanks, that was the definitive kind of answer I was looking for. :)

Gallahhad
February 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I voted Sony; but, I do not think it is a matter of which is "best" but more a matter of which is best for my needs.

Sony PS3 comes with Bluray and DVD upscaling standard. This was a huge factor when I bought mine. It also has some decent games, Flash Player so I can watch Youtube and various other AV content websites, check email and do lite web surfing activities.

Microsoft Xbox 360, WOW, what a machine, if your all about the games, and the other multimedia is not on your list, look no further. Best games, best games, best games. It can do some multimedia stuff, and it does it well, just no Bluray by default. Nice console.

Nintendo Wii, awesome player interaction, again this is all about the games, but it's also about a different kind of interaction with the games. Loads of fun, everyone from your little sprout to your great grandmother will have a blast with some game or other, and the way cool human interface devices.

In a perfect world, I could afford to have all 3, but for now I just have the PS3.

Game on,
Gallahhad

mamamia88
February 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM
all of em are cool except the wii i have one but don't really play it anymore

PuddingKnife
February 17th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I voted Sony; but, I do not think it is a matter of which is "best" but more a matter of which is best for my needs.

Sony PS3 comes with Bluray and DVD upscaling standard. This was a huge factor when I bought mine. It also has some decent games, Flash Player so I can watch Youtube and various other AV content websites, check email and do lite web surfing activities.

Microsoft Xbox 360, WOW, what a machine, if your all about the games, and the other multimedia is not on your list, look no further. Best games, best games, best games. It can do some multimedia stuff, and it does it well, just no Bluray by default. Nice console.

Nintendo Wii, awesome player interaction, again this is all about the games, but it's also about a different kind of interaction with the games. Loads of fun, everyone from your little sprout to your great grandmother will have a blast with some game or other, and the way cool human interface devices.

In a perfect world, I could afford to have all 3, but for now I just have the PS3.

Game on,
Gallahhad

Awesome post

hessiess
February 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM
To be honest, I really don't care for any of the modern game consoles, with the possible exception of the wii for thinking outside of the box. Modern computer games on any platform are getting extremely dull, they focus far to much on graphics while offering little in the way of game play. There are FAR to many shooters these days, older consoles generally provide more variety in game genres and weren't so tied up with producing hyper realistic graphics.

handy
February 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM
It's all about which console(s) you like, not about which is the best.

Best doesn't work, because there IS no accounting for taste (& all that other personal stuff that goes with it).

I sure do like having choices.

It's like when some people think that there really should just be one Linux distro. In their mind they see a focus of development energy that will cause THE Linux distro to out compete windows & apple & all that.

What those people are missing, is that it is the freedom of expression/creativity that has caused 500~ distro's to exist, & the multiple video players & graphics viewers that is essentially the most valuable thing in FOSS.

It is the going, not the getting there.

kidux
February 18th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I have 2 PS3's for the media capabilities, i.e. BluRay. Also have a 360 to game with my buds.

amitabhishek
February 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM
To be honest, I really don't care for any of the modern game consoles, with the possible exception of the wii for thinking outside of the box. Modern computer games on any platform are getting extremely dull, they focus far to much on graphics while offering little in the way of game play. There are FAR to many shooters these days, older consoles generally provide more variety in game genres and weren't so tied up with producing hyper realistic graphics.

I can vouch for every word. I have never been an avid gamer and I struggle going past several levels in almost all the titles and man are they expensive!!! However I remember back in the days of humble PC/XT there used to be games like "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?", Lucas Games's "Indiana Jones and the last crusade" and few others. Those games had some of the most amazing story-lines i have ever come across. I miss those titles and stories today.

Coming back to topic I have a 80GB fat PS3 and I love it for all features it offers and at the price it sells. I occasionally boot Ubuntu on it, watch lots of movies, have tonnes of music and at times I play games on it. Few HD games are visually stunning!!! Its a perfect weekend companion!!!

baddog144
February 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I voted Wii, even though 3rd party games are definitely a weakness, Nintendo makes some truly great games :)

gsmanners
February 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Microsoft: The first to get popular games.
Nintendo: Always shovelware. Always. (The Wal-Mart of consoles.)
Sony: Top-notch hardware, lacklaster software.
Sega: Wow. Blast from the past. Anybody remember Sonic?

Tikkyca
February 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I like sony :D

toupeiro
February 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I agree with Hessless' post re: modern gaming console. I'm the owner of a Nintendo Wii, but to be honest, the majority of what I play on that system are virtual console games from the NES, SNES, TG16 and Sega Genesis. I played a PS3, its pretty and powerful, but I haven't really played a game I loved on it. That and I've never liked the Sony controller and Sony is so proud of it that they never bothered to change it up.

I cut my teeth on a Atari 2600 and graduated to a NES and SNES. After that, I owned a N64 but sold it quickly becaused I needed the money. I really didnt have a gaming system until the Sega Dreamcast. I did own a first generation Xbox and I was pretty happy with that console, but I never jumped into the 360. The mere fact that the system had a pandemic that ended in "OF DEATH" reminded me far too often about its creator and I made a decision right then and there that Microsoft isn't for me for set-top devices. Now I have the Wii. Based on history alone, I'd have to say I lean towards Nintendo, although I have to admit, the sega dreamcast was an AWESOME console, and so were its games.

My games today are split between WoW and QuakeLive, all PC based. I don't have much time or desire to play anything else.

markp1989
February 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I own a xbox 360, reasonably priced, has some decent games. xbox live is fun (sucks having to pay for it but its only £40 a year, which isnt really that much at the end of the day)

i dont like the wii, i found alot of the games very kiddy, and the graphics was better on the n64, the wifit is good if you ignore the anoying voice.

i used a ps3 before, like the multimedia programs on it, and the built in webbrowser, but i already have a htpc for the multimedia side. also i find the controller to small for my hands

purgatori
February 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Microsoft. I wouldn't want any console that didn't have Mass Effect, but if the 360 wasn't an option, I'd get a PS3. The Wii on the other hand... I prefer my old IBM (which can *barely* run Tremulous) with Linux for games over that thing :p

SuperSonic4
February 18th, 2010, 08:24 PM
-points to username-

guess

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
but Nintendo's games, especially Wii Sports Resort, are awesome.Sports Resort is awesome. I could play Table Tennis all day.

Nintendo: Always shovelware. Always. (The Wal-Mart of consoles.)

Always? Twighlight Princess has more depth to it than any xbox game, including Halo.

squilookle
February 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have a Wii, and I really like the games like Zelda, Mario Kart, etc.

I think its good what the Wii is doing for games, bringing it to new markets, but it would be nice if there were more games for those of us that have been playing games for years.

purgatori
February 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Sports Resort is awesome. I could play Table Tennis all day.

Always? Twighlight Princess has more depth to it than any xbox game, including Halo.

Halo is hardly the pinnacle of 'depth' on the Xbox. Try Mass Effect/2, Fallout 3, or Dragon Age if you want depth.

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Halo is hardly the pinnacle of 'depth' on the Xbox. Try Mass Effect/2, Fallout 3, or Dragon Age if you want depth.

I was just pointing out that Nintendo isn't all "shovelware".

gymophett
February 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I have an XBOX 360, PS2, and PSP.
I still the PS2 pwns.
I didn't like PS3's game library.
So for modern console I would choose the XBOX 360.

yester64
February 19th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I have a Xbox 360. It is a decent game console, and Xbox Live is well implemented (paying for it sucks though).

That being said I am pretty sure this is the last console I will ever buy. For one, the games are just too much money. $70 + taxes for a games is just absurd. On top of that game companies think it is OK to hack out half the game and sell it as DLC on the day of release. There are just too many shady practices going on right now on consoles to support them anymore. Back to PC gaming for me.

EDIT: The best console in terms of hardware would probably the the PS3, as the Xbox 360 has issues with the red ring of death.

First off. I have a Xbox 360.
So far the console never crashed on me which makes it good for now.
It is hard to say which console is good or better, since every console has its grand moments and weak ones.
I do love Nintendo since i am a fan of Zelda & Mario. But i have declined to buy a Wii since all the time i want it to buy it, it was always sold out and i refused to stand in line to get one.
I might get one later....
The PS3 looks good too, but it was to expensive to start with.
I think everyone is good and i believe the most reliable one is the Wii.

In regards to your posting, i disagree slightly.
For one you have to be a cheap *** gamer ! lol
I never, or seldom, buy brand new games. I recommend the forum of cheapassgamer.com since there are a lot of info's how to get cheap games.
But on the pc it is the same, plus you mostly install DRM with it and so i decline to run games on a computer.
I do enjoy playing on the xbox for the most part and i find achievements pretty nice since you can go really hardcore.
With DLC you can see it from two sides.
a) game extension. You play more with the game which makes it more valuable.
b) could've been included in the first place.
I found Fallout 3 DLC's pretty nice, altough only 2 were really good and a must have.

Anyway, thats my take on it.

p.s. use prepaid for xbox live. just a tip.

marshmallow1304
February 19th, 2010, 05:14 AM
still the PS2 pwns.

This is true. I am quite impressed at how gracefully my ~10 year old PS2 has aged.

Anyway, I voted Nintendo because I very much like the Wii (built-in wireless, easy to softmod, some very fun and engaging games, Wiimote that can be used with Ubuntu). There are very few games that I want that are on PS3/360 that are not also available for PC, Wii, and/or PS2, with the sad exception of Brütal Legend.

I am also saddened by the lack of depth in many modern games. Nearly all the games I've bought recently have come from gog.com (http://www.gog.com). Great stuff like Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil, and Fallout.

Having said this, I would not hesitate to accept a PS3 were I offered one. (wink wink, nudge nudge).

n0dix
February 19th, 2010, 07:46 AM
i have a psp, xbox 360 and ps3, and i prefer sony videos games.

SuperSonic4
February 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Tis all about the mega drive for me.

Just pondering which console to buy in order to get Sonic 4

xpod
February 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Purely for the family entertainment value it has to be the Wii.
Not that i`m much of a gamer myself mind you but i dont mind giving the kids a good whupping at tennis & the like.

forrestcupp
February 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I do love Nintendo since i am a fan of Zelda & Mario. But i have declined to buy a Wii since all the time i want it to buy it, it was always sold out and i refused to stand in line to get one.
I might get one later....

Are you still living in 2007, or something? :)

There have been a plethora of Wii's available for quite some time now. They're not hard to find anymore.

Malt Frisky
February 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
It all comes down to preference at the end of day.

Me, personally, I own an Xbox 360, I like the games, I enjoy Xbox Live, I like the selection of Arcade games you can download, the joypad is well suited for playablilty.

Playstation 3 has it's on selection of outstanding games and I honestly think that 2010 will be the PS3's year. The online network is not that great but you don't have to pay for it.

But I have to admit, the Wii is the biggest surprise and to be honest I find myself shifting towards little by little when originally I thought it would crash and burn and be the biggest mistake since the Virtual Boy. True the graphics are not HD, there isn't really that many 3rd party games on offer that are classic.

But Nintendo understand gaming, simple as that. While Xbox and PS3 are targeted at the older gamer, Nintendo aim for the all round. Your older gamers have Mad World and No More Heroes, younger has Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc (all Nintendo franchise games and your lying if the older class hate them, I was born in 83 so I grew up with these characters and games and love playing them.

It's aimed towards the family, my auntie who has no interest in computer consoles bought a Wii for family get togethers and fitness. It was the cheapest when it was realised, backwards compatible with GameCube including the controller pad and memory cards from the GameCube (first for a system as far as I know).

Put it simply, Nintendo understands computer games and getting everyone involved and are pioneers in trying the new. Don't believe, look at the evidence.

N64 controller pad where the first to use Analog Controllers and Rumble feature, default in gaming nowadays. It also had GoldenEye and I don't know any FPS that does not use is as a template. On the originally NES it was using player controller on the first Mario Bros game. Coming to the GameCube you were able to link the Gameboy Advance and play games, also compatible with Final Fantasy Chronicles.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are outstading consoles but gave the origins the respect they deserve.

ja660k
February 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
ps3 hands down, not just for games... also entertainment, upnp sharing online tv etc...

also (on the non slim ps3) installing linux on it :) and the joy of a 3.2 GHz processor, ultra fast XDR DRAM and 1080p graphics card.

forrestcupp
February 20th, 2010, 10:23 PM
ps3 hands down, not just for games... also entertainment, upnp sharing online tv etc...

also (on the non slim ps3) installing linux on it :) and the joy of a 3.2 GHz processor, ultra fast XDR DRAM and 1080p graphics card.

If it were "just for games", PS3 would fail. ;)

yester64
February 20th, 2010, 10:38 PM
If it were "just for games", PS3 would fail. ;)

Really? I really like PS3 (did not like the price at first) but there are some good games like MSG4 or the next ICO. If i have some money over one time, i surly get one

dragos240
February 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Sega. Without a doubt!

virusiidx
February 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Although the poll's question and topic's question are slightly different, I voted Sony simply because the PS3 is what I enjoy most at this time and suits my needs. Games, media streaming from my NAS, Bluray, etc...

I still think Nintendo has the edge when it comes to being the most innovative though.

MichealH
February 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
My take on things...

Nintendo Is what I voted for:
I have a Wii and Its pretty good at keeping you fit and I like the gamcube they have Good graphics card mainly from ATi.

As for Sony: PS3! I have to say what a bore that was I was using my cousins and to be honest I liked the graphics but I generally see no difference between the wii and the PS3. In my opinion if you add a HDMI port on the wii It will be a white PS3.

Xbox 360 : Havnt tried it... yet!

Games for windows hmmmm... Hard to put an honest opinion on that but I will try:
I hate microsoft I hate Windows I have Bill I have Games for windows! ;) (I was biased sorry for any offence.)

Was I clear enough?

-Micheal-