PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] gedit \n annoyances

Wokzombie
February 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Recently I've been learning C, my text editor of choice is gedit.

When you want to tell C that your string of text needs to go on a new line you type \n.

Last night I completely forgot about it and didn't close a lot of the text with \n so everything ended up in one line when I ran the code. (Actually the book told me to do it ;))
Then I went to the search & replace function in gedit and told it to replace every instance of ") with \n").
What gedit did was search for every instance of ") and actualy put it in a new line IN the editor, like I pressed enter, not what I wanted.

So I was curious what happened if I did it the other way around.
If I search for every instance of \n, the editor doesn't look for the actualy text, but it shows me every place I pressed enter instead.

Does anyone maybe know if this is supposed to happen and if I could maybe fix it? Because for the rest I really love it as an editor to learn with.

[edit] I'm talking about gedit 2.28.0 in Karmic if it matters.

BbUiDgZ
February 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Recently I've been learning C, my text editor of choice is gedit.

When you want to tell C that your string of text needs to go on a new line you type \n.

Last night I completely forgot about it and didn't close a lot of the text with \n so everything ended up in one line when I ran the code. (Actually the book told me to do it ;))
Then I went to the search & replace function in gedit and told it to replace every instance of ") with \n").
What gedit did was search for every instance of ") and actualy put it in a new line IN the editor, like I pressed enter, not what I wanted.

So I was curious what happened if I did it the other way around.
If I search for every instance of \n, the editor doesn't look for the actualy text, but it shows me every place I pressed enter instead.

Does anyone maybe know if this is supposed to happen and if I could maybe fix it? Because for the rest I really love it as an editor to learn with.

[edit] I'm talking about gedit 2.28.0 in Karmic if it matters.

i'm not 100% as my ubuntu box is at home and i'm at work atm. But i'm pretty sure gedit has a language format for code so if you pick another format it may or may not line break every \n

try and pick just plain text as the format

Wokzombie
February 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Pretty stupid of me, I didn't even think of trying it out in plain text mode.
But it didn't work, gedit does the exact same.

Pretty strange for something like that to be a feature.
Well, if it really is a feature and not a bug there will probably be very good logic behind it, but as far as I can see it it's just strange.

mcduck
February 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Pretty stupid of me, I didn't even think of trying it out in plain text mode.
But it didn't work, gedit does the exact same.

Pretty strange for something like that to be a feature.
Well, if it really is a feature and not a bug there will probably be very good logic behind it, but as far as I can see it it's just strange.

I's say there is a logic behind it, since I've intentionally used that feature to add/remove new lines and fix files with broken control characters or otherwise bad formatting.

I must say I've never even thought that it would become a problem, but after seeing this thread it seems that it might be a good idea to have a checkbox in the search/replace tool (or somewhere) to enable/disable control characters in search strings.. :)

edit: I found a solution for you. Gedit supports using '\' as escape character, so you just need to use '\\n")' as your replace text instead of '\n")'

Wokzombie
February 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Gedit supports using '\' as escape character, so you just need to use '\\n")' as your replace text instead of '\n")'

Awesome, that worked. Thank you ^^