PDA

View Full Version : Which of these types of math is the easiest?

kevin11951
February 17th, 2010, 08:25 AM
COLLEGE ALGEBRA

TRIGONOMETRY

PRECALCULUS -- FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS

First of all, I haven't passed high school algebra yet, and math is not my thing... So which of these choices is easiest for someone interested in biology (me)?

Simon17
February 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM
They're probably all at about the same level, though when I was in high school, trigonometry and precalculus were taught together as one course.

College algebra will probably be easiest though since it's designed for people who are not necessarily imbeciles, but do not need to take more advanced math courses.

The Toxic Mite
February 17th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty good at algebra, factorisation and trigonometry, despite being in one of the lowest classes at my school..

Bodsda
February 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM
COLLEGE ALGEBRA

TRIGONOMETRY

First of all, I haven't passed high school algebra yet, and math is not my thing... So which of these choices is easiest for someone interested in biology (me)?

Maybe im missing the point, but how do those subjects help someone interested in biology?

TheNosh
February 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
i'd go with trig. math kinda was my thing though. honours trig was the class i got the most sleep in, so it wasn't too hard.

Simon17
February 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Bodsda, they help by fulfilling requirements for graduation.

audiomick
February 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I had to go to Wikipedia to find out what the terms mean. It is so long since school that I don't know them any more. My impression is that precalculus might be more useful to you.

You should be thinking not only in terms of what you can pass easily, but also in terms of what could be useful in your later studies. For my part, I am continually surprised at how often something I learned at school in math (which I never liked, although I think I wasn't bad at it when I applied myself) turn out to be useful to me.

Maybe you should have a talk to your biology teacher and see if you can get some advice there?

standingwave
February 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Trig provided that you've had geometry. Otherwise, algebra. I was required to take so much math for my EE degree, I wound up being just five credits shy of a math minor by the end of my sophomore years, but by that time I was getting pretty sick of math. I had all the math I needed for the rest of my courses and that was good enough for me.

NoaHall
February 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM
They are all equally simple. Precalculus will help you later on with Biology though. Lots of graphs and stuff :)

NovaAesa
February 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
For biology, I could only assume that college algebra would be the most useful. They all sound rather easy.

lisati
February 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'd go for algebra. Some of the ideas might be useful as a springboard for processing the ideas for the others.

koleoptero
February 17th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Trigonometry.

Sand & Mercury
February 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Well, you wouldn't get anywhere in trigonometry or calculus (or biology for that matter...) without a solid foundation of algebraic knowledge... so the answer seems pretty obvious to me.

blazemore
February 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Algebra is by far the easiest. For a start, this type of math is very useful for stuff like physic.

lisati
February 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Well, you wouldn't get anywhere in trigonometry or calculus (or biology for that matter...) without a solid foundation of algebraic knowledge... so the answer seems pretty obvious to me.

That's similar to I was thinking. Even if our talents lie in trigonomtry or biology in preference to algebra, algebra provides a good means of expressing at least some of the abstractions involved.

Neezer
February 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I would go the pre-calc route....you aren't going to go to college anywhere and get a degree in biology without taking calculus. Differential equations (calculus) can be used to reference most physical situations including biologcal processes. You need to have a good understanding of calculus in order to solve these problems.

Just my $.02

good luck

MasterNetra
February 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM
COLLEGE ALGEBRA

TRIGONOMETRY

(Recommended Order)
Algebra -> Trigonometry -> Pre-Calc

I know at ITT-Tech College Math I - Deals with Algebra, College Math 2 - Deals with mostly Trig, and it seems only right to do Algebra first before moving up to Trig and Calculus. For someone interested in Biology I think Trig maybe more useful as it deals with Angles and such but probably should do all three.

Simian Man
February 17th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Mathematics is the language of nature. If you want to do anything with biology - or any other science - you will need all of those courses plus more. Trying to do advanced science without having a good math background would be like trying to go into law without speaking or understanding English.

Neezer
February 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Mathematics is the language of nature. If you want to do anything with biology - or any other science - you will need all of those courses plus more. Trying to do advanced science without having a good math background would be like trying to go into law without speaking or understanding English.

Absolutely correct. QFT

Cabs21
February 17th, 2010, 08:06 PM
(Recommended Order)
Algebra -> Trigonometry -> Pre-Calc

I know at ITT-Tech College Math I - Deals with Algebra, College Math 2 - Deals with mostly Trig, and it seems only right to do Algebra first before moving up to Trig and Calculus. For someone interested in Biology I think Trig maybe more useful as it deals with Angles and such but probably should do all three.

This is the order you should take them in since Calculus is impossible without knowledge of both algebra and Trigonometry. Trig can be learned before algebra but it is tougher to learn without a good foundation in Algebra. All of these subjects are going to be required as a base knowledge in any biology level above standard Biology taught in High school.

Sporkman
February 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
A lot of statistical analysis in biology.

lamaistres
February 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I had to take precacl algebra and precalc trig, then a year of calculus and physics. IMO physics was the hardest. These were the math requirements in college for molecular biology which was my major.

Kimm
February 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
COLLEGE ALGEBRA

TRIGONOMETRY

Basically, you'll need both College Algebra and Precalculus (I cant find a use for trigonometry (and bear in mind that I study biology), although it may provide useful background knowledge for the rest of the courses).

There are a lot of graphing and functions in Biology. Such as Predator-Prey Interaction models in Ecology and statistical analysis in both ecology and genetics.

A lot of statistical analysis in biology.

Indeed there is, so there is a need to know quite a bit of math (although, statistical analysis is not all that difficult, but knowing math will help you understand what you are actually doing).

Maybe im missing the point, but how do those subjects help someone interested in biology?

Look above, lol. Theres quite a bit of math in biology actually.

MichealH
February 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty good at algebra, factorisation and trigonometry, despite being in one of the lowest classes at my school..

Im in top set :D Maths and IT is my thing (well, IT obviously!!!)

Algebra is by far the easiest. For a start, this type of math is very useful for stuff like physic.

Yay Algebra! I love algebra although my class don't I feel I pick it up quicker

DZ*
February 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I used to be a genetics student in a wetlab, and my boss was a mathematical geneticist. He used to come with us to a remote marine station during the beach season, while I had to visit the lab even during the harsh winter because there is no off position on the freaky science switch.

In the summer, I'd wake up, do some heavy diving to get samples, then slave away in the lab all day, seeing the boss walking along the beautiful shore or taking a lazy swim.

But he was in fact "working" (or so he'd say), thinking about his incomprehensible to me and thus mysteriously alluring models.

I envied his life so much that I abandoned the wetlab and got a new major in mathematical biology and statistics. Now I can walk around just like him, hands behind my back, wallow in mental inanities, and make stuff up for publications, using nothing but thin air (well, that, and linux).

P.S. Definitely take those math courses.

Simon17
February 18th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Did you guys ever consider that the reason he's interested in biology is because he wants to get through college getting straight A's while learning as little as possible?

He didn't ask what would be most relevant or useful, he wants to take the easiest class.

Gallahhad
February 18th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I've taken all the above; and indeed I took them in the order listed. My opinion, College Algebra was "the easiest".

For myself, and indeed for the way most math programs are structured, Math is a series, and runs as such, you can't get into Part 3 until you've done Part 1, which is why I took those maths in the order you have them listed.

If you don't need Calculus, then don't take Pre-Calc; though around here, Pre-Calc 1 is now a requirement for a Business Degree.

You may consider going as far as Pre-Calc 1 just so your familiar with it, it may come in useful in the future, and the knowledge is definitely worth having.

JDShu
February 18th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Did you guys ever consider that the reason he's interested in biology is because he wants to get through college getting straight A's while learning as little as possible?

He didn't ask what would be most relevant or useful, he wants to take the easiest class.

Don't assume the worst in people :P

Though if thats what he thinks then we can caution him against it.

Kingsley
February 18th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Take pre-calc. It'll touch on most the algebra and trig you need to know while preparing you for the calculus you'll take in college.