PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking???

k33bz
February 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I googled it, and litterally hundreds of different applications come up, can anyone refer me to an application that gets installed and runs on linux that can help me to quit smoking

bug67
February 17th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Windows? That way, you'd be messing with it instead of obsessing on smoking! :D

Just kidding. I really don't know but, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Seriously, I'm with you. I quit 2 years ago and it was the hardest thing I ever did but, soooooo worth it!

ankspo71
February 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I know of one that works in wine. Go here
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/counters.htm
and download quitkeeper. The others might work in wine too.
I also recommend quitnet.com because I know some people that quit there. I haven't quit yet.
Good luck.

halovivek
February 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the post i will download and try quitting

NightwishFan
February 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Go around a bunch of lowlifes, they will have your cigarettes off you in no time.

x33a
February 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
All those who want to quit smoking. Softwares won't help you quit it, only your will power can. The urge to quit should come from within. I am not a smoker so i cannot say for sure, how to quit smoking. but the above rules apply to any bad habit we have, so should work with smoking too.

s.fox
February 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hello.

I found this (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/444) add on for firefox that may be of help to you.

-Silver Fox

audiomick
February 17th, 2010, 10:53 AM
All those who want to quit smoking. Softwares won't help you quit it, only your will power can. The urge to quit should come from within. I am not a smoker so i cannot say for sure, how to quit smoking. but the above rules apply to any bad habit we have, so should work with smoking too.

You are right, of course, but don't forget that Nicotine is about the most addictive drug around; as far as I know, even more so than Heroin.

I don't hold with aids to quitting, but that is just my opinion. I have know people who have successfully quit with the help of an ear ring at a particular point in their ear.

I have been smoking again for the last couple of years after having given up for more than five years. The next "quit" isn't far off; it is starting to annoy me again. Hopefully the next time will be permanent.

Whatever method is used, I think it comes down to achieving a state of wanting to not smoke more than you want to smoke. Unfortunately, even after some years of not having smoked, there will be situations where you find yourself thinking that a cigarette might be nice. You have to want to not smoke more than you want to "just have one...".

I find it helps to observe myself and others whilst smoking, and observe my thoughts about smoking; how much of my day is oriented around the next cigarette, how much effort I put into arranging things to fit in a cigarette ( I don't smoke inside anywhere, so I isn't a matter of just lighting one up)
How does it really look when someone smokes? There is a lot of imagery around that smoking is cool, but when you really observe someone smoking, it doesn't look cool at all. Ask yourself "do I look like that too?".
Look at people in crowds and try to guess who is a smoker. You can nearly always tell, primarily by the state of their skin. Ask yourself if you want to look like that for the rest of your life.

What really helped me a lot last time I gave up was identifying the parts of the addiction that were habits rather than physical addiction.
One thing at the moment that I will have to deal with next time I stop is that going out for a cigarette is a way of getting a couple of minutes peace for myself. I will need substitute for that.

One of the biggest things for most smokers is the problem of not having anything to do with your hands in what would normally be a smoking situation. I have found that consciously playing with something, a match, a fork, whatever, is a huge help. It might annoy the people around you a bit, but if it helps, it is worth it...;)

VeeDubb
February 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Go to becomeanex.org

There is a very strong and very active community of folks there, myself included, who are all kicking the habit.

The plan there really works, and I'll run down the very short version for you.

If you haven't already 'quit' then don't quit today.

Spend a week really looking at all the things that make you want to reach for your smokes. First thing in the morning, social situations, driving, etc.

Once you've figured out all your triggers, spend a couple of weeks slowly separating your smoking from the triggers.

For example, I always used to light up as soon as I started my car. At first, I'd wait until the car was moving. Once that was second nature, I'd wait until I got to the first stop light. Then I'd wait until I was half way to where I was going. Pretty soon, I wasn't smoking in the car.

Once you've done that for a couple weeks and started to break down your triggers, set a quit date, and tell EVERYONE when it is. Once your each that date, QUIT.

Then, and this is the most important part, don't do it alone. Join in with the community on that site, or have close friends/family who will keep you accountable.

ibuclaw
February 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
http://quitcount.sourceforge.net/

sudo apt-get install quitcount

mvalviar
February 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
thanks guys. I've been in and out of the habit and I really want to get rid of it for good for the sake of all mankind.

Georgia boy
February 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I've quit tow or three times cold turkey. The longest I was off was for 8 years then started back up. Smoked for about 6 or 7 and then quit again. I've been off for about 7 or 8 years again now. Still get the urge once in awhile but ignore it so far. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed smoking and don't hold anything against those who smoke. I don't preach at them telling them that they should quit for their health etc. I take my lunch breaks out in the smoking area still because I like the people and enjoy the area that I eat at. So, I say that it's up to the individual to do so. Kind of expensive now days but what the heck. If I decided to go back to smoking the cost factor wouldn't be a factor it would be due to me wanting to smoke again. Wonder if you could grow your own?;)
Good luck in quiting smoking. Each individual finds what works for them to help in quiting. Again, good luck.

Tom

Bill Carr
February 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I know nothing ( yet ) about ubuntu. But I quit smoking on the 28th of july 1968.
I haven't smoked since. Before then, I used to buy cigarettes in tins of 50....every day.
If you really want to give up smoking, will you read my method and follow it ?
There's nothing kinky or weird about it.
The explanation is a lot of typing.
So, before I make the effort....will you ?
Bill

bodhi.zazen
February 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I googled it, and litterally hundreds of different applications come up, can anyone refer me to an application that gets installed and runs on linux that can help me to quit smoking

As far as I know the only things that have been shown to help improve the success of smoking cessation are either various medications (nicotine patches, etc) or clinical psychologists.

75 % of people who decide to quit smoking are successful, so go that route first. If you are unable to do it on your own, seek professional assistance. I believe almost every state has smoking cessation hot lines, and I would go that route before going with a computer program.

In terms of "medical trials" , results are mixed re: web based programs and IMO the available data is both mixed and inconclusive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19017582

A long discussion of medical evidence and design flaws is beyond these forums, thus I again advise you seek medical advice if you can not quit on your own.

tjwoosta
February 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
When I quit, I found the thing that helped the most was to just take my mind off the subject. Find something to do that doesnt remind you of smoking, and just try to trow it all behind you.

I personally think a quit smoking reminder application would probably do more harm then good.

fugazi32
February 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
The best thing I ever did was quit smoking, good luck!
Took me 3 times, but it was well worth it!!!
:)

ETbluez
February 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I know some heavy smokers who switched to the Ecigarette and love it!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&source=hp&q=ecigarette&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Electronic cigarettes have no smoke just nicotine vapour. you can smoke it in restaurants and malls causes its not smoke.check out the videos on youtube

pj_kare
February 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Not wanting to contradict everything the experts say about smoking......but...

My wife and myself saw the Doctor last June (2009) after she mentioned to him that we needed to quit, mainly because of the cost, but also hoping to improve health and prevent health problems.

We were subject to the usual basics tests, blood pressure etc. My blood pressure was high, so the Doctor had me visit the health clinic a couple of times over a couple of weeks. (Apparently your BP can go up just by visiting the Doctor). BP was within the normal range, though lower would have been even better. He put us on quit smoking tablets. (I won't advertise the brand here unless someone wants me to).
We were both coping quite well, managing to resist the urge to light up.

On one of our follow-up visit to the Doctor on the 18th of November my BP was 189/91, the Doctor nearly fell off his chair, and I think he was almost tempted to have me hospitalised. Needless to say I'm now permanantly on medication to control my BP, so go figure. (My wife doesn't feel a whole lot better for quitting either).

We are still off the cigarettes, but still have moments where we could easily light up again, if you could buy just one cigarette instead of a whole packet we probably might. But good luck to anyone who does try to quit, it is hard, Cheers.

MaxIBoy
February 18th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Tetris?

this is new york not l.a.
February 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I smoke a tobacco pipe every once in awhile and cigars once in a great while. I've turned some cigarette smokers onto pipe smoking and they have been able to stop smoking cigarettes. The main thing with cigars/pipes is you do not breath in the smoke but rather just take it into your mouth. For that reason it is less unhealthy (note, not healthier. If you hit your hand with a sledge hammer you will do damage. If you hit your hand with a ball pine hammer you will STILL do damage.)

I find that I never have an urge to smoke and I've been smoking for about 3 years now. I'm assuming you want to give up smoking for good but I suggest maybe taking up pipe smoking. That way you can get some nicotine and do something with you hands and its a hell of a lot cheaper and eventually, hopefully you'll give up smoking or at the very least stop smoking cigarettes and smoke a pipe occasionally.

k33bz
February 18th, 2010, 02:02 AM
oh wow, wasnt thinking i was going to get this many replies on this.

Thanks though, alot of different ideas being shifted around as well as a few programs, I will be checking them all out.

As far as the nicotine gum or even patches, they dont work very well with me, I actually end up craving more with the use of patches and or gum.

I have quit several times, but picked back up, I need to and want to quit so bad.

Thanks for the replies everyone

bodhi.zazen
February 18th, 2010, 02:07 AM
As far as the nicotine gum or even patches, they dont work very well with me, I actually end up craving more with the use of patches and or gum.

I have quit several times, but picked back up, I need to and want to quit so bad.

Sorry you have had such a hard time, it is difficult, but stay with it.

x33a
February 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM
You might laugh at me, but if possible you can try pranayama and yoga. It has done wonders for millions.

ETbluez
February 18th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I know some heavy smokers who switched to the Ecigarette and love it!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&source=hp&q=ecigarette&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Electronic cigarettes have no smoke just nicotine vapour. you can smoke it in restaurants and malls causes its not smoke.check out the videos on youtube

Good Luck

matthew.ball
February 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'm not trying to be harsh, but how does a software program help one quit smoking?

I've basically gone cold turkey - haven't had a cigarette this year, admittedly it's only been 2 months so far so I can't say I have indefinitely quit, though I don't get cravings any more.

I think what it comes down to is just will-power, if you want to quit, and I mean really want to quit, you will.

Edit: I don't drink alcohol though, and I've been told smoking and drinking go hand-in-hand. If you drink, perhaps you'll have to give it up for a while if you want to stop smoking.

k33bz
February 18th, 2010, 05:43 AM
had gotten the idea to look for an app after I went into gamestop to look for some DS games for my kids, I ran across a quit smoking DS cartridge, says it monitors your quit smoking, kinda like the programs that have been mentioned here. But also it has mini games that supposedly help with the cravings.

ssulaco
February 18th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone
k33bz,Dont give up on quitting.....I'm cheering you on! and for those who have quit,My hat goes off to you,I'm a Dipper,and I think about the consequences every day.....

ARhere
February 18th, 2010, 06:23 AM
How I quit after 8 years of smoking.... cold turkey.

I just kept making new goals for myself when the nic fits were the worst.

"Just make it 30 more min.", "Just make it until lunch:, "Just make it until tomorrow morning".

Addiction is a mind game, you can do it! Luck to you.

-AR

ARhere
February 18th, 2010, 06:27 AM
k33bz,Dont give up on quitting.....I'm cheering you on! and for those who have quit,My hat goes off to you,I'm a Dipper,and I think about the consequences every day.....

By the way... my Dad had a heart attack last November, doctor said it was his smoking. Up to that point he always said he could not do it as he had been smoking too long. He has been smoke free since the attack.

You can do it.

-AR

halovivek
August 6th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Thanks to everyone. I quit smoking. It has been 2 months over as of today :) I could not belive myself that how I did this.

Khakilang
August 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I don't quit smoking totally just cut down the number of stick I smoke. I use to smoke 2 packet of cigaretes of 20 sticks per packet 20 years ago. Now it take me 4 days to finish 1 packet. I only smoke if I got the urge and usually in the toilet to cut out some smelly stuff. Anyway good luck to you and hope you quit smoking. Smoking is just burning money for nothing and give you bad health.

rmayer32
August 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks to everyone. I quit smoking. It has been 2 months over as of today :) I could not belive myself that how I did this.

Congrats!!

I know how tough that can be, it took me almost 10 years of trying this and that to finally kick it last summer.

Congrats on a decision you will not regret! :)

Rick

rmayer32
August 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
How I quit after 8 years of smoking.... cold turkey.

I just kept making new goals for myself when the nic fits were the worst.

"Just make it 30 more min.", "Just make it until lunch:, "Just make it until tomorrow morning".

Addiction is a mind game, you can do it! Luck to you.

-AR

Cold turkey was the only way I was finally able to stop. As tough as it was for a couple of weeks it was amazing how it calmed down after that. I think that so many products out there now sort of forget that the goal is to get rid of the nicotine addiction and whether you do it slowly or cold, withdrawal is still something one must encounter.

Xianath
August 6th, 2010, 07:16 AM
My mother and I (35 and 12 years of smoking two packs a day, resp.) quit over the course of a week using a cytisine-based over-the-counter drug that, amazingly, cost about as much as a pack of <favourite brand here>. This was five years ago. The first few months or so I went so much overboard to the non-smoker side that I would get physically nauseated by smoke. As you can imagine, I wasn't very popular with my smoker friends :) but they supported me. Over the next few years my tolerance to smoke returned, and I even lit up a couple of times (Eric Sardinas playing live 15 feet away, me lovingly sipping Laphroaig, and a girl offering me a selection of Cubans -- couldn't resist :) ).

It's not all roses, though. I finally gave up to the urge about a month ago when changing jobs and breaking up got the best of me (really, just needed an excuse to light up). Smoked for two or three weeks, then spent another one cutting it down to zero using the same drug.

Not sure if cytisine-based products are available where you are. I know there are similar (derivative) products -- just look it up on Wikipedia or so. The bottom line is, it works -- all it takes is a *little* willpower (eg. cut down cigs to one per hour the first few days, and no making up for missed time due to work etc.) and the right chemicals. Personally, I'm not a fan of nicotine-based substitutes as they only break the habit but not the addiction. Non-nic substitutes that act on the actual cell receptors in the body are -- entirely IMHO -- more effective.

Good luck!

sidzen
August 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Not sure if cytisine-based products are available where you are. I know there are similar (derivative) products -- just look it up on Wikipedia or so. The bottom line is, it works -- all it takes is a *little* willpower (eg. cut down cigs to one per hour the first few days, and no making up for missed time due to work etc.) and the right chemicals. Personally, I'm not a fan of nicotine-based substitutes as they only break the habit but not the addiction. Non-nic substitutes that act on the actual cell receptors in the body are -- entirely IMHO -- more effective.

From http://www.tocris.com/dispprod.php?ItemId=1800, one can see cytisine is available to US or Canada
at 10 mg / $59 In stock (http://www.tocris.com/faqPriceAndAvailability.php) 50 mg / $255 In stock (http://www.tocris.com/faqPriceAndAvailability.php)
http://www.tabex.net/ shows dosage to be 1.5 milligrams per tablet -- very potent. Caution advised!