PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] intel 845 video river

ozzfest96
February 17th, 2010, 04:14 AM
i installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my ibm netvista with intel integrated 845 graphics and the only 2 resolutions its offers 800x600 and 640x400. I think i need to install a driver but i cant find it and even if i did i dont know how on Ubuntu can someone please help me

efflandt
February 17th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I don't think you need a driver. It is just that with a VGA connection, X cannot always determine optimum or native resolution. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Note that your video outputs could have different names than shown there, but xrandr should tell you what they are called (and which resolutions are active).

Look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what resolutions X finds. Sometimes it thinks it cannot use certain resolutions, even if they would work. Sometimes cvt does not come up with optimum timings, but once you get something close, and set it with xrandr, you could try fine tuning with xvidtune.

What is the native resolution of your monitor?

ozzfest96
February 18th, 2010, 12:11 AM
i think 1024x768 but im not sure its an older microtouch monitor given to me for free but it didnt come with any papers or labels.