PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstall Windows

crazydjdave
February 17th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Hi, I currently have ubuntu however I want to download a program that is only supported by windows. Is their a way that I can re install windows so that I can dual boot or software that I can download so ubuntu can read microsoft programs

Thanks.

PhilGil
February 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM
There are 3 methods for running Windows programs on your computer. Your choice will depend on the program you are downloading and the resource requirements.

1. Wine, available in the repository, is a program that will allow you to run some Windows apps seamlessly in Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install wineWine works with a number of Windows programs, but it can be tricky to get them as functional as possible.

2. You can install Windows in a virtual machine hosted on Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-oseAlmost all Windows programs (except games requiring 3d rendering) can be run in a Virtualbox Windows install. If you have a Windows license, this is probably the least painful way to run Windows programs.

3. You can install windows to dual-boot with Ubuntu. Typically, installing Windows after Ubuntu will make your Ubuntu install temporarily inaccessible. There are posts on the forum that will help you to get it working again.

crazydjdave
February 17th, 2010, 05:03 AM
thats the sort of answer i needed however need more help on how to do it all. I need step by step instructions cas i dont trust myself!! Wine does not work so i somehow have to reinstall windows! please help guys xx

lindsay7
February 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Look around here, you should be able to find what you want.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm

PhilGil
February 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Here is a good tutorial for setting up Windows XP in VirtualBox. Don't be daunted by the number of steps - it's easier than it looks and doesn't take a lot of time.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-windows-xp-virtualbox-linux