PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Software Center Wont Download

HunterAnderson
February 17th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Alright so when I go to the Ubuntu Software Installer and and I try to install software, it wont let me. I can look at the software and choose which to install. It will ask me for authentication and it accepts it but when downloading it, it never passes 0%. Does anybody have any ideas whats wrong? Thanks so much for any input.

-Hunter

btw im running Ubuntu 9.1 64-bit

crlang13
February 17th, 2010, 04:02 AM
A couple questions:

I assume you're connected to the internet when you attempt to download and install new programs? It may be "yes, logically!" but a few people don't realize that the package actually needs to be DOWNLOADED.

Does your internet connection require you to run through a proxy?

Can you download programs through the synaptic package manager? system > administration > synaptic package manager

Can you install updates? system > administration > update manager

are any of the above to programs open when you try to use the softer center?

HunterAnderson
February 17th, 2010, 04:43 AM
-lol Yes i am connected to the internet, but there isn't any proxy that its running through.

-When i tried to run synaptic package manager an error came up and wouldn't let me continue.

-When i tried to run the update manager and check for new updates the following error came up:

--E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to --correct the problem.
--E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

-Afterwards i ran it in terminal and it installed flash player correctly. Then after running the update manager and checking for updates the error didn't return. (but there weren't any updates either)

-I went and tried synaptic package manager one last time and it worked fine. Not sure what the matter was or how running said command in terminal could have made a difference.

-I went ahead and tried the software center one last time since synaptic manager worked and it worked fine. I'm not sure what difference was but it seems to work fine.

crlang13
February 17th, 2010, 04:55 AM
sweet:p

dpkg is used to manage the packages - so, if it's not set up correctly, you can't get your packages to download and install correctly!

And who said Linux was difficult to use? There was a problem, it you were automatically told hold to fix it by the operating system!

HunterAnderson
February 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM
haha yea. Thxs. For things like that i like linux so much more than windows but i was raised on windows so this is all so new to me. Thanks again.

saeedmar
February 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi, thanks Man, I'm new to ubuntu and wanted to reinstall ubuntu because of this problem; but your help made it easy for me to install softwares; Really thank you, and I hope to undesrtand these commands as soon as possible
Thanks again
=======================
In the world that there is no any walls and fences; There is nor need to WINDOWS nor GATES.