PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation hangs,blinking kb light,cd drive quits spinning

Dean0
February 17th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I downloaded the latest iso file from the ubuntu site a few days ago and burned it to a cd,tested it on my xp system in the demo mode and it works fine.The only problem occurs when i tried installing it on my old pc(hp xe783 mobo),it loads to the menu with the options to run the demo,install etc... but when attempt to either install or run the demo mode it hangs.The cd willl spin for 10-15 seconds then it stops,the logo stops fading in and out and the scroll lock and caps lock lights start blinking on the keyboard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,i really like the freshness of ubuntu after using windows for so long.

If someone could also maybe help me(or point me in the right direction) set it up to dual boot with windows while assuring me it wont mess up my hard drive or my xp install that would be GREAT!!,i dont have an xp install disk and so i cant reinstall it,although i do have image backups but i REALLY dont want to have to mess with an image restore,format my hard drive or anything of the sort.

Thanks.