PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb flash disk can not be updated?!?

iaw4
February 17th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I just installed ubuntu 9.10 on a 4GB usb stick given the menu item at the top. I selected 512MB for my own user space. then I rebooted, and started updating it. it seems it is high time for a new distro---I am getting almost 200 packages by default now that need to be updated.

alas, ubuntu live update now runs out of space while doing the update. this is not because 4GB is too little, but because too little space seems to be dedicated to the root partition.

what is the recommended way to have an up-to-date 9.10 copy now?

sincerely,

/iaw

iaw4
February 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
ok, so is there an update or patch to the USB flash disk creator that leaves more space for updating?

dabl
February 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
There's no "click a button" solution to your issue. But, with some patience and persistence, you can certainly put Ubuntu on 1G of that stick, and use the rest of it for data. Here's how:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107512.0

snowpine
February 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
For best results, I recommend installing Ubuntu to a hard drive partition with 8gb (or more) free space.

A "Live USB" such as you've created simply isn't meant to be updated. Every Ubuntu release receives many 100's of mb's of updates throughout its lifespan.

iaw4
February 24th, 2010, 01:16 AM
hopefully, the next version of ubuntu will be more flexible. it would be nice to have a safely updated version. 8GB sticks are now very cheap.

come to think of it, it would be nice if one could tell ubuntu flash that it should replace the stock install files with their latest updates if they are pure updates, so that I don't have to install 700mb of updates every time after I have installed 700mb of base.

/iaw