PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Freezing at install

edco76
February 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Ok so I figured I would give Unbuntu a try since my eval build of Windows 7 is expiring a c few days. Every time I try to install tho I get froze up with the white logo on a black screen.

1st I downloaded the 64 bit version w/windows installer. Goes through installation process and say to complete reboot. I reboot and get my boot menu with Windows/Unbuntu options. Choose unbuntu and I get some text on the screen and then straight to logo screen where it stays. At this time (2nd attempt) it has been stuck there 15 minutes.

2nd I tried to just dl the iso. dl'd it, burned it, inserted and rebooted. I get the language screen (choose english) then I get a screen with some options.
I tried install with no changes......hung up with logo
Tried straight up install......hung up at logo
Tried check disk for errors.......hung up with logo AND "checking disk for errors, this could take a while"....I waited 30 minutes.

3rd. trying windows installer again after uninstall. Still hung up.

Gateway M series laptop
amd 64 dual core 2.1
4 gig ram
ATI Radeon Graphics

edco76
February 17th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Also. I can still boot Windows fine. Its just unbuntu that freezes

edco76
February 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
well. I tried 32 bit. Same problem. Tried all the boot modes, same problem. Except in Verbose it freezes with text instead of logo.

Really frustrated because I really wanted to try this out. Oh well. Now I guess I just have to figure out how to get rid of it.

duckfeet
February 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hang in there: I'm kind of in the same boat: started getting the Win7 RC notices yesterday, that we have to either purchase and reinstall new Win7, or do something else...so I too am trying to install unbuntu, as I've used it happily in the past. I'm at 32 bit, but having a few problems similar to yours, and I"m using a commercial dvd I picked up with a linux magazine.

In the past I've successfully downloaded a mirror ISO image, and installed it, but for some reason this is causing me problems, so I'll be following this thread, and try to figure it out here in my shack, also...

best wishes...

edco76
February 17th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Hang in there: I'm kind of in the same boat: started getting the Win7 RC notices yesterday, that we have to either purchase and reinstall new Win7, or do something else...so I too am trying to install unbuntu, as I've used it happily in the past. I'm at 32 bit, but having a few problems similar to yours, and I"m using a commercial dvd I picked up with a linux magazine.

In the past I've successfully downloaded a mirror ISO image, and installed it, but for some reason this is causing me problems, so I'll be following this thread, and try to figure it out here in my shack, also...

best wishes...
Well if you have any luck lemme know. I'm out of ideas, no matter what I try I get the same result.

edco76
February 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well I made some progress......I think. Actually got a desktop pulled up and went through the installation process but now Im froze at 100%. Says:

"running post installation trigger initramfs-tools"

Been stuck there for bout 10 minutes.

edco76
February 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
ok. I guess it got passed that but now I have a black screen with a pointer. Pointer will move but its real laggy.

juan.villa
February 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM
All those symptoms you have listed seem to indicate that there's a hard drive issue. Are you sure that your hard drive is working 100% ? It could also be some hardware device that is no playing nicely with the kernel. Could you please post the output of "dmesg" as an attachment? (Go to Application->Accessories->Terminal and run "dmesg > ~/Desktop/dmesg.out")

edco76
February 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
All those symptoms you have listed seem to indicate that there's a hard drive issue. Are you sure that your hard drive is working 100% ? It could also be some hardware device that is no playing nicely with the kernel. Could you please post the output of "dmesg" as an attachment? (Go to Application->Accessories->Terminal and run "dmesg > ~/Desktop/dmesg.out")
When I try to attach the file it say invalid file type?

edco76
February 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I have never had hardware issues before and Windows worked fine. Also I used the disc error utility and it passed that.