PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hello i am new here please i need some help thanks

balkrish999
February 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hello i am new here and i am excited about ubuntu

first i have a laptop which has windows 7 home premiumum and its a 64bit version

and its got 2 hard drives 1st has the os 7 on it and has 280gb free space out of 320gb

2nd hard drve i have the revoery which is only 12gb and i have 9mb free

i want a dual boot with 7 and ubuntu linux
correct me if im wrong
i know that i will have to partion my 320gb hard drive and make another hard drive which i think will be around 80gb hd

and then i wll install ubuntu on that 80gb hard drive

first if i put ubuntu on my laptop with a dual boot (so i get windows 7 and ubuntu) will it cause any problems for windows 7 os

then when i burn the iso on a cd shall i boot it from the boot menue or shall i go on my windows 7 then click on the dvd drive and install it from there???

also can someone give me a step by step guide on how to install ubuntu with windows 7 and on a seprate hardrive

Satoru-san
February 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hello i am new here and i am excited about ubuntu

first i have a laptop which has windows 7 home premiumum and its a 64bit version

and its got 2 hard drives 1st has the os 7 on it and has 280gb free space out of 320gb

2nd hard drve i have the revoery which is only 12gb and i have 9mb free

i want a dual boot with 7 and ubuntu linux
correct me if im wrong
i know that i will have to partion my 320gb hard drive and make another hard drive which i think will be around 80gb hd

and then i wll install ubuntu on that 80gb hard drive

first if i put ubuntu on my laptop with a dual boot (so i get windows 7 and ubuntu) will it cause any problems for windows 7 os

then when i burn the iso on a cd shall i boot it from the boot menue or shall i go on my windows 7 then click on the dvd drive and install it from there???

also can someone give me a step by step guide on how to install ubuntu with windows 7 and on a seprate hardrive

First welcome to the forums :)

Second, you want to burn the .iso for ubuntu on your windows. Then boot the cd and say try without changeing my harddrive.

Then you want to open a program called gparted and resize your windows partition so you have 80 gigs of unpartitoned space, and apply these changes.

Then you want to reboot and then select install ubuntu from the menu. And when it gets to paritioning make sure it chooses to install in the empty space.

When it is all done, you will get a menu at boot to choose windows or ubuntu. If you dont see a menu come up and it boots exclusivly into either system, on the next boot hold down the shift key.

:D Welcome to the forums! Enjoy it here! :D
DONT BLINDLY RUN COMMANDS THAT PEOPLE ON THE FORUMS TELL YOU
some times people will post malicious command that will destroy your
install
If you have any questions about what the commands do, ask someone!

2hot6ft2
February 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
The widows partition should be resized using the windows disk management utility instead of using Gparted. Right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management
Other than that Satoru-san has the right idea.