PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft threatens software testers

phantomjoker
February 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I wanted to try windows 7 before it was release, to see if it was any better than vista, so i signed up as a software tested and downloaded it. Anyway, long story short - i totally forgot i even downloaded it and never used it, but i got a lovely email from the people at microsoft today -

It’s time to upgrade from the Windows 7 Release Candidate

While most people who tested Windows 7 have now moved to the final version, some are still running the Release Candidate. If you haven’t moved yet, it’s time to replace the RC.

Starting on March 1, 2010 your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Your work will not be saved during the shutdown.

The Windows 7 RC will fully expire on June 1, 2010. Your PC running the Windows 7 RC will continue shutting down every two hours and your files won’t be saved during shutdown. In addition, your wallpaper will change to a solid black background with a persistent message on your desktop. You’ll also get periodic notifications that Windows isn’t genuine. That means your PC may no longer be able to obtain optional updates or downloads requiring genuine Windows validation.

To avoid interruption, please reinstall a prior version of Windows or move to Windows 7. In either case, you’ll need to do a custom (clean) install to replace the RC. As with any clean installation, you’ll need to back up your data then reinstall your applications and restore the data. For more details about replacing the RC, see the Knowledge Base article KB 971767. For more information, visit the Window 7 Forum.

Thanks again for helping us test Windows 7.

The Windows 7 Team

Oh doesn't that make you feel SO special!

Typical really. Microsoft need to threaten its users to stop using their beta software and actually pay for it, even though most of them actually help remove the one million and one bugs.

madnessjack
February 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
It's not a threat it's an explanation

TheNessus
February 16th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Microsoft need to threaten its users to stop using their beta software and actually pay for it, even though most of them actually help remove the one million and one bugs.

What the hell man. As a Tester you CHOSE to help them fix bugs for nothing and you CHOSE to download an OS that will shut itself down.

And then you're complaining about a CHOICE you yourself made. And you complain about being reminded of what you initially agreed to do. OK... that's slightly... I dunno, childish?

howefield
February 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Microsoft need to threaten its users to stop using their beta software and actually pay for it...

Why is this a threat ?

It was almost impossible to install the Beta/RC without being aware of the limitations and the timetable for you using it.

NoaHall
February 16th, 2010, 06:15 PM
What on earth are you talking about, OP?

Cabs21
February 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM
lets see saying conservatively there were 5000 beta testers (betting there were more then that) were using windows 7 RC. Now that it has been released to the public Microsoft wants you to stop using the RC version and pay to use THEIR software. If they gave you a free copy of Win 7 they would stand to lose at least $65,000 ($130 a copy times 5000 testers). So they write in a code that doesnt destroy Win 7 RC it just makes it so you cant do much with it and it forces you to buy the actual release. Maybe you could get lucky and get microsoft to give you a discount since you helped out as a beta tester but I would guess not since they gave you a free trial version of windows to begin with and you probably didnt contribute enough test info to microsoft to warrant a free license.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I absolutely get what you mean, phantomjoker. It's really lame that they sucker people into testing their product for free. They've convinced many that it's somehow a magical thing to be running pre-release software, which is very, very far from the truth: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/25/

Very common for their XBox games (oh-boy, some Halo game is going to be in public beta tests in a month!). Generally it's just a marketing ploy; an early demo to build hype (especially effective because people think the idea of "beta testing" sounds cool and exclusive). If it doesn't work very well they can say "but it's a test!" and people will trust that the bug will be fixed upon release, thus buying the game regardless. (And the bug probably won't be fixed because they have a tiny window between public "beta" and release).

On the other hand, I do smell an unfounded sense of entitlement here, too. I don't blame you; that tone of voice seems to flutter around the Internet and you probably don't really mean to have it. (I do it all the time). I blame free stuff and carnies.

madnessjack
Ok folks we get the point he's wrong

Name change
I don't know if your post is in what's called a UF preffered tone and tenor.
It sounds like "FUD" but by Linux users...
I won't report you, but please stop beeing so militant towards Microsft, it's just a company.
And when I got this mail, I thought: "how very nice, at they notified anyone that's still using RC that it won't be supported anymore and that it's time to change it to normal Windows"...

dragos240
February 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I made a thread about the same thing. Be careful, or you'll be flamed.

Marlonsm
February 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
OMG! MS is forcing people to buy their comercial software if they want to keep using it after testing!

MS is not evil, it's just a commercial company, people should stop bashing it because all it wants is to sell its products.

lukjad
February 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM
/me looks for the downvote button... Oh, this isn't reddit.

Okay, so, no. I don't feel much sympathy. You got to ride the wave of bleeding new technology, and now it's over. Get out before it crashes into the beach. :)

tcoffeep
February 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM
/me looks for the downvote button... Oh, this isn't reddit.

Upvoted.

Okay, so, no. I don't feel much sympathy. You got to ride the wave of bleeding new technology, and now it's over. Get out before it crashes into the beach. :)

Exactly. It's not like you really expected when you signed up for it to be able to use it for free until the end of your days. Grow up.

matthew
February 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
While I agree that the original post was somewhat misguided, the overreactions of other users in this thread is the cause for what I am about to do. Thread closed.