PDA

View Full Version : Beijing's 'Buy China' policy alarms trade partners

Sporkman
February 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Beijing's 'Buy China' policy alarms trade partners

Joe Mcdonald, AP Business Writer, On Tuesday February 16, 2010, 10:08 am

BEIJING (AP) -- Beijing says it wants to spur Chinese inventions with a "Buy China" policy that gives preference to domestic technology companies. But the tactic has provoked an outcry from Washington and business groups that say it will choke off access to the massive market for goods from software to clean power equipment.

Foreign companies have been alarmed by the government's announcement it will favor technology developed in China when buying computers and other goods on which it spends billions on each year. The plan, part of a decade-old effort to promote "indigenous innovation," would channel money to Chinese companies and add to pressure on foreign technology creators to shift research work to China and know-how to local partners.

The move reflects Beijing's growing assertiveness as it tries to make Chinese industry more autonomous after depending on foreign money, markets and technology for three decades to drive its economic boom...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Beijings-Buy-China-policy-apf-2906094340.html?x=0&.v=1

thatguruguy
February 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Beijings-Buy-China-policy-apf-2906094340.html?x=0&.v=1

There's no way that such a policy could possibly backfire.

Mahngiel
February 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
So what! We push "Made in the U.S.A." don't we. Get over it.

Tristam Green
February 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
We (the US and the rest of the world) made our bed with China, with the sweat and tears of a cheap labor force. Now we get to lie in it. It makes me sad, but it's the truth.

The Toxic Mite
February 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I have to say that I agree with this. They've depended on other countries for over three decades, and I think it's time for them to move on. Good on ya, Beijing ;)

Post Monkeh
February 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
while they do take things too far sometimes, i think a lot of countries could learn from china when it comes to protecting their own intrests.

Sef
February 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Locked. Politics.

From the heading to this subforum:

Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues.