PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why upgrade at all

Thomas Garman
February 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I first started out using Ubuntu with 9.04 and when 9.10 came out I immediately upgraded, thinking that because 9.10 is an upgrade it is "better." What actually happened as a result of the upgrade was that almost all of the audio package I installed through Ubuntu Studio became unusable, for whatever reason. For example, LMMS simply would not run for more than a minute or two without crashing. I reinstalled 9.04 completely from scratch and now my system works fine again.

Almost every day the "Update Manager" reminds me that 9.10 is available and gives me an enticing little button to click to install it. The temptation is sometimes very nearly overpowering, but given the fact that I got burned by 9.10, which isn't even a long term release, I am very reluctant to ever touch the open flame of "upgrade" again. Why bother? Upgrading a Linux distro means a week of installing patches and fixes and reading forums (and this makes the whole idea that it is "free" somewhat subjective and only insofar as your time is worth ZERO dollars to you).

So, now 10.04 is about to appear as a new distribution. I really wonder if I should bother "upgrading" since I have no doubt that doing so will wipe out my nVidia drivers, ruin my GRUB, render useless of all my audio packages etc etc.

Anyway... "Update Manager" always telling me that 9.10 is available is annoying because it basically amounts to a button that if pressed immediately flushes about 60 hours of my time down the toilet... SO HOW CAN I TURN THAT FEATURE OFF?

tjoff
February 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Go to System -> Software sources -> Updates
and in the dropdown menu "Show new distribution releases"
choose "never".

I agree that if your system matches your needs and fancies, why bother with upgrading? I would read the release notes of the new version, and if there are any "must-haves" or enough "nice-to-haves" in there, I would upgrade.

snowpine
February 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Support for 9.04 will end in October 2010. Enjoy the next 8 months. :)

tjoff
February 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Support will end, true, but that just means that the updates will stop coming.
If you have stable system that you are happy with, you might just stick with that. I have a colleague who uses Fedora 5 (!) for his daily work, and he is perfectly happy with that. He may not receive the latest bugfixes, but then again he does also not receive the latest bugs.

Personally, though, I am too curious not to upgrade once in a while, but it is by no means essential to my computing needs.