PDA

View Full Version : Linux Compatible Label

neu5eeCh
February 16th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I remember reading at some blog that nobody sees a Linux Compatible label. Well...

I just bought my wife a portable SuperMulti Drive (External DVD drive) by Toshiba which boasts:

Works with Windows O/S and Linux O/S. Says it right on the box front. A DVD is included with drivers for Windows/MAC/ & Linux (LinDVD).

Thought that was cool; and it's the first time I've seen it.

On a similar subject, can anyone recommend a Linux compatible USB Wireless stick?

Old Marcus
February 16th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I bought a wireless pci card recently and it had a tux logo on the front saying 'Linux Support', so they do exist.

themarker0
February 16th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I only see them on printers. Mine has that, but no driver, you have to download it from the site >__>

You guys are lucky :P

K.Mandla
February 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I found a 10-year-old PCMCIA network card at the recycling shop the other day, and it had a Turbo Linux sticker on it, with Tux shaking a lightning bolt. I should take a picture of it. ...

mitchellthegreat
February 16th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I would be more likely to buy something if it had that label on it.

Nvidia, this is your time to win me over...

HappyFeet
February 16th, 2010, 05:14 AM
On a similar subject, can anyone recommend a Linux compatible USB Wireless stick?

When I needed one for my lappie, I went to the store and grabbed any old one, went out to the car, popped it into my laptop, and found out first hand if it would work. If it hadn't, I would have walked back into the store and returned it and tried another one. Easy.

HappyFeet
February 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
it had a tux logo on the front saying 'Linux Support', so they do exist.

Yeah, but not enough things have that sticker. Someday maybe.

People, write to these companies and tell them what you want. Believe it or not, if enough people do this, they will listen.

neu5eeCh
February 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM
When I needed one for my lappie, I went to the store and grabbed any old one, went out to the car, popped it into my laptop, and found out first hand if it would work. If it hadn't, I would have walked back into the store and returned it and tried another one. Easy.

I like that method. Best Buy, here I come.

Gone fishing
February 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Yes I want this.

I'm fed up of going to the shop and having to open the box to see what chipset is being used and sometimes they cover the chips with case heat-sink etc.

It would make things so much easier.

chriswyatt
February 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Bought a mouse that said it was compatible with Linux, the Logitech M305. I was surprised.