PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual monitors, compiz, locked to workspace

bowbalitic
February 16th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I love the compiz cube, but sometimes its not enough. I have a 24 in (1920x1600)acer monitor as my main monitor and a 17 in (1280x1024) dell monitor that is currently being used by my text only home server.

I was wondering if any one can point me in the right direction for either 1) locking the dell monitor to a specific workspace, or 2) creating a whole different workspace for the dell monitor. (preferred)

The whole point of me setting up the dell like this is for instructions, or code off on the side to help me out while I'm working on my main monitor. So simple drag and drop, or sending a window to the workspace is all I need. I don't really need menus, app lists, or my desktop to show up on the workspace.

My Specs
24" Acer Monitor (1920x1600)
17" generic Dell Monitor (1280x1024)
ATI Radeon 4870 with 2gb ddr5 ram
8 gb corsair dominator ram
AMD Phenom processor

I have the proprietary driver installed with catalyst control center
And I want to continue having compiz cube on my 24" monitor.

I know that the proprietary driver will be a pain, so if anyone knows of a open source driver for the Radeon 4870 let me know.

I also know that this will likely be a long gruelling project that I'll have to do mostly on my own. I just need a point in the right direction.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

EDIT

Wow, and I forgot. I am using Ultimate Edition 2.4 (Ubuntu 9.10 with added software and themes)

bowbalitic
February 17th, 2010, 03:25 AM
So it looks like every ones as stumped as I am. Well when I figure it out (I have ocd about these things :P) I'll wake this thread from the graveyard.

Any suggestions are still welcome, I will periodically check.

jpthompson23
September 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Did you ever get this to work? I have heard it is possible in compiz to have different workspaces on different monitors, but I can't find out how to do it!