PDA

View Full Version : A fairly odd request.

themarker0
February 16th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I am writing an Ebook, of which i will make free release over at www.discuss-server.net,
but i am also new to servers. What i want to do is make a in depth ebook, that is so easy, no one can mess it up, because it will be written in plain simple words. But i found something out today.. I have no idea what i am doing :P. I only have used servers that are premade. (At work i work part time as a student assistant IT tech.) I have never actually set anything up myself :???:

So what i need, is someone who already can consider themselves a moderate to advanced user, to set a tasklist of things you can do with an Ubuntu server. You will be propperly creditted as a author, in the ebook.

If anyone is interested, please PM me. We can talk over a client of your choice.

Tm0

The Real Dave
February 16th, 2010, 03:03 AM
IMO best way for you to be able to write a book on running an Ubuntu Server is to go install it on a spare PC :) Learn the hands on way, from the forums, man pages and Google, and take notes as you go. Set yourself a set of objectives, like getting NFS, Samba and Squid proxy running. There's plenty of tutorials out there, so learn by doing it, keep a diary of your achievements, then just change that into the eBook :)

Ubuntu Server is fairly easy, once you get to grips with a few command line basics. So an introductory course on nano and what ssh is will be essential. After that, each chapter is for the specific service or program. So write it one step at a time, by learning one step at a time. You'll end up with a great eBook, an improved knowledge of Ubuntu, and a working server. Don't forget that you have the forums for backup along the way ;)

themarker0
February 16th, 2010, 03:05 AM
IMO best way for you to be able to write a book on running an Ubuntu Server is to go install it on a spare PC :) Learn the hands on way, from the forums, man pages and Google, and take notes as you go. Set yourself a set of objectives, like getting NFS, Samba and Squid proxy running. There's plenty of tutorials out there, so learn by doing it, keep a diary of your achievements, then just change that into the eBook :)

Ubuntu Server is fairly easy, once you get to grips with a few command line basics. So an introductory course on nano and what ssh is will be essential. After that, each chapter is for the specific service or program. So write it one step at a time, by learning one step at a time. You'll end up with a great eBook, an improved knowledge of Ubuntu, and a working server. Don't forget that you have the forums for backup along the way ;)

I do have it installed, i have it on a PC right next to me actually, its a reck :P.
I know my basics around command line, i just really need topics, i guess i wasn't clear. I need someone who knows what wonderful things you can do with a server. So i can write the book on how to do it, from an idiots point of view :P

tgalati4
February 16th, 2010, 04:28 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046738

cariboo
February 16th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I would suggest starting here (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-9.10-karmic-koala-ispconfig-2).

toupeiro
February 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
If you want to write a good book about server administration and infrastructure, the best way to do that is start by learning enough about server administration and infrastructure to compile a book worth reading. With all due respect, it seems like you're putting the cart before the horse.. Getting a few pointers and isolated crash courses about servers in a thread like this one here isn't going to be enough to sell your book as if its written by a server expert.. Don't short your readers, or yourself.

themarker0
February 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I guess i am unclear. I need someone to list out some goals for me. Also its not a huge book, i don't plan on making this something advanced. I want something dirt easy for beginngers.

Warpnow
February 17th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Install Ubuntun Server and webmin. Then install every webmin module, they are listed on the left...includes mysql, apache, ect, ect, ect. It covers most of what you need for a server.

lisati
February 17th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I do have it installed, i have it on a PC right next to me actually, its a wreck :P.

It sounds like you already have some experience to draw on. Perhaps getting things tidied up a bit will be of some value when you come to do a troubleshooting section.