PDA

View Full Version : "Chromium OS" as a session, not a complete OS

Aphoxema
February 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Has anyone made any efforts into setting up Chromium OS as a drop-in desktop environment? I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far but what it takes away isn't worth what it offers. It's also a little painful that everything works just fine except for wireless and Chromium OS in no way makes it easy to actually administer the system.

I'm just interested in the browser-as-a-desktop attitude, but not to the point it eliminates the useful-tools-with-your-desktop.

markp1989
February 16th, 2010, 03:06 AM
that sounds like a nice idea , should be simple enough , run chromium form xinit rc without a window manager. i have tried , right now the browser isnt using up all the screen. but there is no reason why it cannot be done..

edit: i have goten a minimal wm, ratpoison + chromium on startup

dont know how they added the battery meter to chrome or what other parts of chrome os there are?

im just gona throw together a vm to see what i can try :)

Aphoxema
February 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I'm looking forward to any progress you make.

Warpnow
February 16th, 2010, 04:06 AM
If you create a gdm session with chrome being called instead of the WM it will just full screen chrome when you login that way.

markp1989
February 16th, 2010, 04:23 AM
If you create a gdm session with chrome being called instead of the WM it will just full screen chrome when you login that way.

I have tried running chrome from .xinitrc . and it wouldnt run full screen without a window manager.

edit: added a custom session to run google chrome and ratpoison (both need to be installed)

i add the following lines to this file /usr/share/xsessions/Chrome.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=google chrome
Comment=
Exec=~/.google.chrome
Icon=
Type=Application

and add the following to this file ~/.google.chrome

#!/bin/sh
ratpoison &
exec chromium-browser

make sure you can execute .google.chrome file by running

chmod a+x ~/.google.chrome

when you login , under session select google chrome

if you quit chrome it will log you out

Aphoxema
February 17th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Seems simple enough. "Chromium OS" launches a number a web-apps through the browser itself.

I'm starting to wonder if Firefox would be better for this. Is there a plugin that can spawn processes for Firefox, perhaps inside a tab?