PDA

View Full Version : What to do to Ubuntu for non-technical Windows users?

Cuddles McKitten
February 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
<tldr>
A buddy of mine is having serious PC slowness problems and after checking the usual stuff (defragging, virus scanning, scan disk, look at all the nonsense processes running, etc.) I told her it'd be easier to just reinstall everything to clear out the junk; she only uses her machine for e-mail, word processing, and internet browsing, so Windows-specific programs won't be a problem. Instead of reinstalling Windows, I'm planning on taking an Ubuntu CD, and installing it on a second partition. That way she can still go back and won't have to move her files.
</tldr>

Here comes the question: Besides KDE with a WinXP theme, is there anything else I should install to make the transition easier for her? Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with a situation like this?

Yvan300
February 16th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Well you could give her a guided tour. Show her all the in's and out's of her new operating system. Oh and ask her if she needs windows for any specific functions and see if there are any alternative programs etc etc etc.

lykwydchykyn
February 16th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Here comes the question: Besides KDE with a WinXP theme, is there anything else I should install to make the transition easier for her? Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with a situation like this?

First, I'd skip the winxp theme. I'd use whatever the default theme is that comes with whatever DE you put on there. For two reasons:

- Because I think it's MORE confusing for something to look familiar but not function in a familiar way. Best to start with a clean mental slate and build new associations in the new environment.

- Because in my experience "look-alike" and other novelty themes don't always get the attention they need to keep up. They may break the system in an upgrade, and may lack the proper icons for everything. The default theme always works better than anything else; it's typically what the developers are using and looking at all the time while putting the system together.

Next, I'd make sure all the extra functional stuff was there -- restricted extras, browser plugins, readers, fonts, etc.

Finally, be available to help. That's probably the most important thing. You can't fully anticipate what a person's going to run into.

steveneddy
February 16th, 2010, 06:42 AM
First, I'd skip the winxp theme. I'd use whatever the default theme is that comes with whatever DE you put on there. For two reasons:

- Because I think it's MORE confusing for something to look familiar but not function in a familiar way. Best to start with a clean mental slate and build new associations in the new environment.

- Because in my experience "look-alike" and other novelty themes don't always get the attention they need to keep up. They may break the system in an upgrade, and may lack the proper icons for everything. The default theme always works better than anything else; it's typically what the developers are using and looking at all the time while putting the system together.

Next, I'd make sure all the extra functional stuff was there -- restricted extras, browser plugins, readers, fonts, etc.

Finally, be available to help. That's probably the most important thing. You can't fully anticipate what a person's going to run into.

+1 - some great points here

TheNessus
February 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Buy her (or make her buy herself) some extra RAM.
After OS change, get her FF with flash-block and ad-block and script-block so her browser could survive better loading pages, as it sounds like her computer is slow in and of itself, and it's not just an XP issue.

AllRadioisDead
February 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
You could not disguise Linux as Windows for starters. Linux is not Windows and the faster she figures that out the better.

OR

You could actually "fix" her Windows problems. Linux isn't the answer to Windows problems.

aysiu
February 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Fully agree with lykwydchykyn's points. You're setting yourself up for a fall by trying to trick her into thinking she's using the same environment.

SirBismuth
February 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I agree with the other posters about just sticking with the default theme that the DE you end up using provides. I did this when going from MS Office to OpenOffice, and then eventually XP to Ubuntu.

Once she is more comfortable with the OS, then you can start playing around with themes and so on.

I also like your idea of trying a dualboot setup first, then she can see if Linux is really for her, and can see if the transition is feasible. That's also what I did, dualbooted for a long time, before going Linux-only at home. Maybe a guided tour of your or another Linux installation at first would be a good idea, as was already suggested.

From what you say, she is not using any applications that don't have alternatives in Linux, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Also be on hand to help, as things do not work the same in Linux as they do in Windows.

But yeah, the more assistance you give her in the transition, the better the chances are of her fully moving to Linux, and not just dumping it because things don't work like the did in Windows. I would also emphasise that Linux/Ubuntu should be view as an alternate to Windows, not a replacement.

B

crlang13
February 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I have to agree with everyone above. Don't make it look/behave like windows. Ubuntu is not Windows. If she's mainly using it for internet and a bit of word processing, she shouldn't have any problem with functionality. Especially if you get it all set up for her.

Stan_1936
February 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
...Here comes the question: Besides KDE with a WinXP theme, is there anything else I should install to make the transition easier for her...

Why? Why? Why would you automatically assume that KDE is the way to go? Her machine does not sound as though it could handle KDE.

gymophett
February 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I had a friend with this problem. First of all, I let her install Wubi for a week to get the feel and everything, and she loved it right off the bat. Then I just backed up everything she needed, gave her the Linux is not Windows talk, and wiped her hard drive and installed Ubuntu 9.10.
She LOVES it. She is always complimenting on it's speed, and she caught on really fast.
Giving Ubuntu to a Windows accustomed person is really not near as hard as it sounds.
Maybe I would use gnome-main-menu, instead of the full menu in gnome (application, places, system) just so that doesn't confuse her.
There isn't really much to do.