PDA

View Full Version : Wow... I think it's finally happened.

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 04:08 AM
I think I... Have a virus! =O

Well, I dont like anti viruses and stuff. I use windows (for now), and ive been saying how easy it is to avoid viruses.

But I think I have one.

How? My little brother downloading some "runescape autominer" thingy to cheat on some online game -.-

Just sometimes my mouse goes all slow and stuff... And sometimes the whole computer just gets really slow.

Im not sure if it is one, but I havnt had a virus since... Since I used windows ME.

The worst part is, I have no idea where it is to delete it! I searched my computer all over and cant find it. Its not in the running processes list, but whenever I try to shut down it cant because it has to try and close the cheaty thingy.

When I get my computer and my little brother gets this one ill have to install ubuntu on it so he doesent annoy me after he broke windows.

As ive said all along, its easy to keep it virus free if you know what youre doing...

Oh, and he also clicks on the "shoot the bunny for a free ipod" ads.

And refuses to stop using internet explorer.

Im annoyed.

Cap'n Refsmmat
March 7th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Download a virus scanner. (I recommend Avast!)

Most viruses are too clever to make their own processes or create a file that you can recognize.

rfruth
March 7th, 2006, 04:12 AM
dump Windows its a malware magnet :-#

blastus
March 7th, 2006, 04:14 AM
If all else fails, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows.

aysiu
Xequence needs it for something (I forget what).

xequence
dump Windows its a malware magnet :-#

Only if you are my little brother :O

(I recommend Avast!)

Ill check it out :)

aysiu
March 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM
If all else fails, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. That's what I would advise.

Too bad Windows doesn't let you create a separate /home partition... or /Documents and Settings partition, I guess.

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Xequence needs it for something (I forget what).

Crappy sony MP3 player :(

Too bad Windows doesn't let you create a separate /home partition... or /Documents and Settings partition, I guess.

Accually, Ive got another partition where I keep my... Data.

Just I got to much data and I had to put it on the windows partition :K

If all else fails, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Thats always the best way, but I just think if I cant get rid of it easily, ill just wait until I get a new computer and reinstall for my brother then. Or, if he lets me, ill install linux.

jason.b.c
March 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Download a virus scanner. (I recommend Avast!)

Yes, avast is a very good virus scanner. I use it on my win 2000 and it works preaty good!

Windows its a malware magnet

It sure is! Your right about that!

Stew2
March 7th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I actually use avg free as an antivirus and it works great. Will even scan your email for you. Did you try system restore to fix the problem? It will quite often remove bogus/ misbehaving software that was recently installed. Another idea would be to try to get your brother to recreate the program install so you could see where he put it... or where it put itself, and get rid of it from there. Sometimes running your virus scan in safe mode helps the scanner remove or quarantine viruses that it cant remove in normal mode because they are running in the background. Good luck with it!

nblythin
March 7th, 2006, 04:40 AM
One of the best Anti Virus programs for Windows is E-Trust / EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates.

Its very reasonable priced, does an excellent job of protecting you in the first place - and if you have a system thats already riddled in viruses - it does an excellent job of finding, removing and repairing.

towsonu2003
March 7th, 2006, 05:50 AM
That's what I would advise.

it does, but it is hidden... create and format new partition, start>accessories>msdos prompt(?)>compmngmt.com(or msc or msi)>disk management(?)>mount partition to empty folder. it's an hidden linux feature :Pp

PS. clamav has a windows version. there is usually no need to reformat (from experience). but if you choose so, you will have a heavy reading homework identifying the virus and undoing what it did (delete it and delete its modifications from the registry. reformatting is not a need, but another hidden feature to make things easier. while you format, repartition to fit everything to another partition and mount it in a separate foolder. search the web as there is a registry tweak in order to make your user(s)>My Documents default folder as this new partition. also, create a non-administrative account for your brother so he can't install stuff w.out asking you first ("right click + run as"="sudo").

Jucato
March 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM

There is a way in XP (I just forgot how) to make My Documents point to somewhere else, even on another partition, without creating a sort of shortcut/symlink.

The only problem with this is that if your installation goes awry and gets corrupted, it sometimes takes down the whole Documents and Settings and My Documents with it, even if they are found in another place.

You could also try to startup in XP's recovery mode (the one where not all drivers are loaded, you can't connect to the internet, not all processes are started, gives you a lower resolution and color depth, etc). Then you could try to find the file, if it isn't a virus.

BoyOfDestiny
March 7th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Crappy sony MP3 player :(

Accually, Ive got another partition where I keep my... Data.

Just I got to much data and I had to put it on the windows partition :K

Thats always the best way, but I just think if I cant get rid of it easily, ill just wait until I get a new computer and reinstall for my brother then. Or, if he lets me, ill install linux.

An mp3 player? What's so special about it if it's crappy... Run it [the software it needs?] in WINE if you must?

Secondly another partition may not help. Depends on the nature of the virus of course, but it may infect files on other drives and eventually to backups (if you've burned/copied something without knowing there is an infected file in your midsts)

Reformat, make a seperate user account for your brother (one that doesn't have admin privledges). For anti-virus I suggest clamwin [GPL] (http://www.clamwin.com/)

Seriously though, I can't buy an mp3 player as a reason to keep windows...

towsonu2003
March 7th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Seriously though, I can't buy an mp3 player as a reason to keep windows...
there are always excuses, valid ones. mines, for example, are:
* fifa
* championship manager
* spss
* faster firefox
* dial up (except for ubuntu, this modem did not work with anything else)
each of these excuses are equally valid (especially in isolation, as in "no spss" = "need windows" or "no fifa"="need windows" etc)... as such, I bought his/her "excuse" (sic).

I am curious about what s/he got though (as virus)...

benplaut
March 7th, 2006, 06:10 AM
don't let your brother on your computer, or at least block runescape
it's the devil, anyway!!

the best free security combo, IMO, is:

Avast
ZoneAlarm firewall
microsoft anti-spyware
spybot s&d
adaware

and most of the registry cleaners out there do a decent job

matthinckley
March 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM

actually you could create a D: partition and set windows to use that drive to store the Documents and Settings directory..

EDIT: however unless you made consistent registry backups your settings may not come back correctly anyways..

BoyOfDestiny
March 7th, 2006, 06:14 AM
there are always excuses, valid ones. mines, for example, are:
* fifa
* championship manager
* spss
* faster firefox
* dial up (except for ubuntu, this modem did not work with anything else)
each of these excuses are equally valid (especially in isolation, as in "no spss" = "need windows" or "no fifa"="need windows" etc)... as such, I bought his/her "excuse" (sic).

Well the stuff you listed is more specific. MP3 players are ubiquitous... There are literally hundreds of alternatives/replacements...

Eventually WINE will hopefully handle these...

Anyway, you'll find the firefox speed issue isn't a problem in dapper. :)

Kvark
March 7th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) from Trend Micro let's you virus scan for free without downloading any program (it can use either ActiveX or Java) or signing up for anything. Back when I used Windows and used to occasionally help others with Windows problems it was my favourite way to check if they where infected with something.

Can't you get some firefox extension that has whatever cool IE feature your brother refuses to give up?

Zeroangel
March 7th, 2006, 07:28 AM
There is a way in XP (I just forgot how) to make My Documents point to somewhere else, even on another partition, without creating a sort of shortcut/symlink.

The only problem with this is that if your installation goes awry and gets corrupted, it sometimes takes down the whole Documents and Settings and My Documents with it, even if they are found in another place.

You could also try to startup in XP's recovery mode (the one where not all drivers are loaded, you can't connect to the internet, not all processes are started, gives you a lower resolution and color depth, etc). Then you could try to find the file, if it isn't a virus.
Speaking of which, I was shown this great site the other day http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

It has a utility that you can use to symlink files on NTFS drives in Windows (MS calls it junctioning). Check out all the programs on there, it includes a lot of tools that use features that MS 'forgot' to implement.

Source code is available too :KS

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Run it [the software it needs?] in WINE if you must?

Tried, didnt work.

What's so special about it if it's crappy...

Took another one back and they wouldent let me get any other one but that one.

I can't buy an mp3 player as a reason to keep windows...

Ok, Ill just throw away the 200$ I paid for it and go without an MP3 player ^.^

Plus I have no problems with windows anyway, so why would I be going crazy sacrificing things (like an mp3 player) so I can use linux? Ill dual boot when I get a new computer.

I have no idea what virus it is, even if it is a virus at all. Ill scan and find out...

don't let your brother on your computer, or at least block runescape
it's the devil, anyway!!

I cant keep him off. Its the old family computer and I have to share it with him.

majikstreet
March 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
you can remove internet explorer you know... there are howtos on the net i believe..

how do you connect to the net? do you need to dial up or have a special program to connect?
because you could use something like knoppix, use the installer to install f-prot, update virus defs, and scan.... that's only if you could say just connect because your computer is connected to a router or whatever by ethernet... not saying you can't dial up or whatever though

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 10:20 PM
how do you connect to the net? do you need to dial up or have a special program to connect?

No software at all, it is DSL. (not damn small linux =P)

you can remove internet explorer you know... there are howtos on the net i believe..

Yea, with nLite and XPLite.

But I dont want to break anything by removing it.

Stormy Eyes
March 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Pwned!!1!1!!!

majikstreet
March 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM
hm. then you could use knoppix to scan for viruses... download it, burn it, boot it, go to the software installer, then install f-prot, run f-prot, update definitions, scan... make sure you have internet tho..

Stormy Eyes... who's pwned? me or xe....?

Stormy Eyes
March 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Stormy Eyes... who's pwned? me or xe....?

Did you run without antivirus and get a virus too?

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Did you run without antivirus and get a virus too?

I still dont know if it is even a virus. All I know it is making my computer act oddly sometimes, and I know the reason it is there isnt me ;)

bored2k
March 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Too bad Windows doesn't let you create a separate /home partition... or /Documents and Settings partition, I guess.You can play with regedit and it would probably be able to. While playing with it, I've been able to manipulate Program Files location and such.

Kvark
March 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM
hm. then you could use knoppix to scan for viruses... download it, burn it, boot it, go to the software installer, then install f-prot, run f-prot, update definitions, scan... make sure you have internet tho..
...or you could just go to the housecall site I mentioned and scan right away without downloading, bruning, booting, installing or updating anything. :p

But if you're helping a cute girl then I guess your way looks extra impressive, like you're using advanced hacker skills to solve a very complicated problem for her.

dcer
March 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'd try using HijackThis to find the thing. It probably loads at start up. If not you can also check the services. As for IE, you can delete all the shortcuts to it or edit them to run firefox instead.

bored2k
March 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
ive been saying how easy it is to avoid viruses."Easy" is such an abstract word here. If I unplug my computer from any network connections, remove any removable drives from it and place my computer in a safe house where no one can get access to it, I'm sure I'll build a relatively impenetrable system. On the other hand, I could have the "best" antivirus out there (I don't think such thing exists; I've known Trend Micro employees, and from what I heard from them, it's a silly term) and voila, all of a sudden, I get sent a college/work paper, the antivirus isn't quick enough and that's it. Hours of tweaking and eaten RAM by all the anti-crapware services loasted are now wasted. On a machine I barely take of in terms of running crapware remover applications, I've tried numerous virus checks with different software, and I believe it's been over a year since I've received a virus warning from any of them. Am I virus free? how can I be so sure if I don't even know if there's a lurking file my AV can't detect?

My advice? backup. And don't even trust yer backups. Be a safe kid and stay away from shady sites and locations. Again, easier said than done, but that's what's always recommended. Resistance is futile. Heh. Funny.

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
It is easy to avoid viruses and carry on with my normal computer stuff is what I meant.

It just seems so... Blatently obvious. I can avoid viruses while my brother cant. But he doesent get that its so obvious and still does stupid stuff.

As for IE, you can delete all the shortcuts to it or edit them to run firefox instead.

I tried getting rid of the IE shortcuts.

5 minutes after he got on "INTERNET EXPLORER IS GONE!!!".

I told him to use another browser (firefox at the time, because I use opera and it saves the last open pages, and I dont want him messing around with them) and it doesent automatically work with his runescape game so he doesent like it and screams at me to put it back to internet explorer.

public_void
March 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I'd try using HijackThis to find the thing. It probably loads at start up

I'd agree. You can send you hijack this log file here (http://www.anyspyware.com/hijackthis.html), or sign up to a computer forum where they'll check it out.

Stormy Eyes
March 7th, 2006, 11:57 PM
and it doesent automatically work with his runescape game so he doesent like it and screams at me to put it back to internet explorer.

Perhaps you should stop letting the little brat touch your computer until he learns to treat its owner (you) with due respect. I wouldn't have taken that **** from my kid brother, and I certainly wouldn't let him scream at me.

Malphas
March 8th, 2006, 12:07 AM

It basically does actually.

aysiu
March 8th, 2006, 12:12 AM
It basically does actually. How?

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Perhaps you should stop letting the little brat touch your computer until he learns to treat its owner (you) with due respect. I wouldn't have taken that **** from my kid brother, and I certainly wouldn't let him scream at me.
They share it, I'd guess by decree of his parents. However...try setting up Firefox to behave like IE. I did it to get my father to use it. I even changed the name that it says at the top of the window to say Internet Explorer. Everything I did was done with extensions, and adding files to the installation folder of Firefox. Google it, there's various guides.

-Wild

towsonu2003
March 8th, 2006, 12:32 AM
How?
check out these:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307889&sd=tech
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/tulloch_partition.mspx

there was a much better howto (describing precisely how to mount a separate partition as My Documents using regedit, but I couldn't find it...

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
They share it, I'd guess by decree of his parents. However...try setting up Firefox to behave like IE. I did it to get my father to use it. I even changed the name that it says at the top of the window to say Internet Explorer. Everything I did was done with extensions, and adding files to the installation folder of Firefox. Google it, there's various guides.

Yep. When my parents got a new computer me and my little brother got the older one to play games and download on.

Oh how I wish I could do that... But it is ours, not mine. (Which is one of the reasons why I am getting my own)

Malphas
March 8th, 2006, 12:49 AM
How?
Just partition the drive by whatever method you prefer (I'm pretty sure you can do it during XP setup) then just go to the properties for My Documents and select the "Target Folder Location" to somewhere on your other partition. It's not 100% ideal, but most Windows programs store their settings in My Documents these days, or at least give you the option of where to put them.

mstlyevil
March 8th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Just partition the drive by whatever method you prefer (I'm pretty sure you can do it during XP setup) then just go to the properties for My Documents and select the "Target Folder Location" to somewhere on your other partition. It's not 100% ideal, but most Windows programs store their settings in My Documents these days, or at least give you the option of where to put them.

That is always how I have done it. You could just create the partition and just make your own folders on it and keep important data on it. Windows does a pretty good job of finding it on a reinstall.

towsonu2003
March 8th, 2006, 01:17 AM
That is always how I have done it. You could just create the partition and just make your own folders on it and keep important data on it. Windows does a pretty good job of finding it on a reinstall.
in the meantime, unless you edit the registry (I still couldn't find the howto for that), applications will write their settings to the default My Documents folder, instead of your new partition. an example is the save games, profiles and stuff of fifa 2005. remember to backup those folders to your partition from time to time.

Oh, by the way, ask your dad or mom (convince him/her) to set up two accounts on the computer without administrative privileges (Linux style, and the Windows security model as well for businesses). that way, none of you can install stuff. the administrative password should be kept by parents, and installing programs should be ok as long as parent scans the file for antivirus and spyware and gives okay. I knooooow -> your parents won't do that...

I'd expect american parents to be on extreme "+paranoia mode" after that huge myspace scare though, that's interesting... youtube should make the last blow soon on that paranoia mode, escalating it to "bipolar personality privileges"... good luck...

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM
It just seems so... Blatently obvious. I can avoid viruses while my brother cant. But he doesent get that its so obvious and still does stupid stuff.Your brother is the same as mine and the same as millions out there: Unlike you, who can simply turn their faces off smelly websites and software distributers, they want what's there. They don't care which site they download what they want, they just want it placed on $HOME as soon as possible, so clicking on those websites and using P2P to download *gasp*software isn't really much for them. Unless you hook him up with a good antivirus software you can lock from closing, as well as giving him a very limited user account, good luck :/.

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Oh, by the way, ask your dad or mom (convince him/her) to set up two accounts on the computer without administrative privileges (Linux style, and the Windows security model as well for businesses). that way, none of you can install stuff. the administrative password should be kept by parents, and installing programs should be ok as long as parent scans the file for antivirus and spyware and gives okay. I knooooow -> your parents won't do that...

I'd expect american parents to be on extreme "+paranoia mode" after that huge myspace scare though, that's interesting... youtube should make the last blow soon on that paranoia mode, escalating it to "bipolar personality privileges"... good luck...

You mean convince them to set it up on their computer? Basically, a computer is useless to me unless I can install stuff =P

Unless you hook him up with a good antivirus software you can lock from closing, as well as giving him a very limited user account, good luck :/.

I am probably just going to say "Ill install linux or windows, but if I install windows its too much hassle for me to fix it for you all the time. Pick one".

I know that game he plays works in linux, as it uses java and ive had java working in linux before. Thats all he does, I think...

I know he cant mess up linux with any crazy windows program and the chances of messuping linux without being root and deleting random files are very very slim.

Malphas
March 8th, 2006, 03:25 AM
in the meantime, unless you edit the registry (I still couldn't find the howto for that), applications will write their settings to the default My Documents folder, instead of your new partition. an example is the save games, profiles and stuff of fifa 2005. remember to backup those folders to your partition from time to time.
No, they don't (using the first method). After you've set the target to your partition, all programs, games etc. will use that folder and use the settings/profiles/save games within it.

dbott67
March 8th, 2006, 03:59 AM
As mentioned by others, you can mount your "Documents" folder to another drive/partition in XP. Just right-clicking the "My Documents" folder will allow you to change the properties & location. However, it only affects your documents & not your settings or other users.

Better yet, you could mount the "Documents & Settings" folder to another drive/partition, thereby keeping all user data & settings on another drive. You'll need to follow towsonu2003's links on the MS KB above to be successful.

Here's a screenshot I posted about this back in October that shows the MS Disk Management tool to "mount" a 2nd partition as a folder in XP.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=386451&postcount=6

-Dave

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I already have most of all my data and stuff on another partition, but thanks for the tip, ill put my documents to another partition now. (Currently I dont store things in my documents as much as C:/Music and C:/Programs and stuff.)

ice60
March 8th, 2006, 04:06 AM
try running Icesword. it will find and kill most things, it runs from the kernel so it will show stuff like rootkits.
http://xfocus.net/tools/200509/1085.html

you could also try doing an online scan with KAV it has the best detection rates. i think this is the page.
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

maybe this too, it shows what's happening in real time.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I don't know why, but I've always favored Trend Micro security solutions as the best in the market. Seeing everyone else think otherwise overwhelms me.

towsonu2003
March 8th, 2006, 05:10 AM
well, there are so many suggestions here, I thought I should include this as well:
hmm wait, hmm, they merged what I was gonna recommend (auditor) with whax and here it is: http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Main_Page they called it backtrack. never tried it but it is a security auditing tool. you could try it after googling to see if it's safe.

ps. I booted with auditor security (which is now merged with whax apparently to create backtrack) but it was when I didn't know anything about linux, so no help from me :)

Ptero-4
March 8th, 2006, 05:44 AM
My best advice, xequence. Load your LiveCD. and from the terminal do: "rm -fR /mnt/*******". And then load the ubuntu install CD and let it run. Now that's the quite easy part of the fix, the hard part is configuring the BKAS peripheral (your brother) to be compatible with Linux. And I tell you, installing ubuntu is going to be easy. Makin' your bro capable of running linux is, if he's like my 25 yrs-old sister, something that's gonnna take months at least, also is gonna take a lot of googling hidden M$ formats for behavior control, lots of beer and pizza to eat and drink, a doped M$ drone to transfer the behavior parameters, and a nice Gamecube to spend your time while google searches those parameters, and while the parameters are being transfered. And if (and a very big if) all went correct and the M$ system didn't realized that the behavior control settings were tampered, your bro is going to accept using linux instead of *******. But if it doesn't work or you just aren't ready for that challenge (I had a freakin hard time and I thought that I wasn't going to get it done but after like 2 yrs, 5 trips to HP tech repair, lots of cursing M$ for being so f*ckin control freaks, and lots of banging my head on the wall my sister is now using a PowerMac with ubuntu linux on it, and she haven't complained about the abscence of M$ IE, OE, Office or ******* on the computer) just let him with the PC, and when you get your's clean his PC up put ******* XP and tell your parents to take someone to fix your bro PC each month.

majikstreet
March 8th, 2006, 10:02 PM

yeah I Know... my mom is always like don't go on myspace..

what's going on with youtube that could cause parents to go nuts?

towsonu2003
March 9th, 2006, 02:42 AM
what's going on with youtube that could cause parents to go nuts?
ability to post video... now when you say that to an American parent (I keep saying American, bc these scares are too common in the US), s/he will freak out automagically... I'm just waiting to see it at CBS ;) American social scares are priceless to watch...

bjweeks
March 9th, 2006, 03:04 AM
American perents suck... Spend all there time bitching about how bad games (*couch* gta *cough*) should be banned and no time watching there kids.

Iandefor
March 9th, 2006, 03:36 AM
ability to post video... now when you say that to an American parent (I keep saying American, bc these scares are too common in the US), s/he will freak out automagically... I'm just waiting to see it at CBS ;) American social scares are priceless to watch... They get tiresome for Americans who aren't liable to get upset over media hype.

And what was this myspace scare I heard tell of?

American perents suck... Spend all there time bitching about how bad games (*couch* gta *cough*) should be banned and no time watching there kids. Mainstream parents of certain types do that. I don't actually know too many parents who are like that- maybe four. And I know a lot of parents.

xequence
March 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM
And what was this myspace scare I heard tell of?

Yea, what is it? I dont even know what myspace is, aside from the fact I despise it.

MacV
March 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
My space is like this massive blog site where friends can link to each others blogs and type messages to each other on them. The "issue" with myspace is that online perverts supposedly go on myspace and create accounts pretending to me kids and teenagers, gaining the trust of real ones to arrange dates(when in reality they want to kidnap them).

Pretty much, it's the sick bastards screwing up the internet for the rest of us...AGAIN!

bjweeks
March 9th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Perverts goto a school find kids and rape them.

Perverts go find kids on myspace and rape them.

Perverts get in UFOs upduct kids and rape them.

All myspace it doing is bringing the perverts in to the 21st century.

majikstreet
March 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM
imo, it's the complete idiots who go online, post provocative pics, be like CALL ME AT 222-555-6666!!!! and then go MEET SOMEOME that they don't even KNOW! how stupid... and the people can just do a reverse phone look up and voila they have your address.