PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft launches Windows phone 7 for mobiles

Sporkman
February 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Microsoft launches Windows phone 7 for mobiles

Microsoft has launched the latest version of its mobile phone operating system, called Windows Phone 7 series.

The software has a redesigned user interface and incorporates many Microsoft services such as Xbox LIVE games and the Zune music service.

The software was introduced at an event at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

According to research firm Canalys, Microsoft's software currently has around 9% of the smartphone market..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8515915.stm

Tristam Green
February 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Interface is good stuff. Looks simple and easy-to-use, just like a mobile should be.

amitabhishek
February 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Wow!!! This is something....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-hands-on-and-impressions/

Grenage
February 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Well here's hoping it's better than their previous offerings; would certainly make my life easier.

Tristam Green
February 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Well here's hoping it's better than their previous offerings; would certainly make my life easier.

Windows Button bigger, about @#%$ing time :|

ElSlunko
February 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Go Go Microsoft. They finally got a clue. True they were in the early stages of smart phones but the ones I saw my college friends have back in '02-'06 made me wonder why anyone would want a smart phone. Freaking things were slow & you're right about the tiny start button. It's like they've got carnival folk as their beta testers.

NCLI
February 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Doesn't look like something I would use, as it's way to simple. Reminds me of the Netbook Remix.

Dragonbite
February 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Ok, but does it make phone calls?

(Honestly, I haven't seen any pictures of the basic number pad.)

Looks pretty cool. Wonder how well it will sync (or how long before it does) with Linux!

Tristam Green
February 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Ok, but does it make phone calls?

It may not but it looks like it will play Crysis.

koleoptero
February 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I like the way he emphasizes in the video the fact that they use subpixel smoothing. :rolleyes:

bluelamp999
February 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I very much like the look of the UI.

Minimal, clean and flat. Suddenly the iPhone paradigm ('3d' icons with highlights etc.) looks decidedly old tech...

Dragonbite
February 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Minimal, clean and flat. Suddenly the iPhone paradigm ('3d' icons with highlights etc.) looks decidedly old tech...

Yeah, with all of the recent changes in the phones, netbooks and such, a simple interface looks pretty appealing, so long as (like Gnome) the full functionality is still there!

amitabhishek
February 16th, 2010, 05:55 AM

+1

Talk about coming back a full circle!