PDA

View Full Version : Booooored. Any suggestions?

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Okay, here's the deal. I've got a little Dell Mini 10, running the average Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. And it's 12:48 in the morning. And I'm bored. Out of my mind. So, any suggestions on packages I can download to enhance it's appearance, or whatever? Any productivity increasing tools? Any secrets you mind sharing? Throw them at me.

Just... Nothing that'll kill my system, or any malicious code... I don't want to have to do a complete Reinstall. And be wary, the mods are watching.

-Ericson

hessiess
February 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM
If you don't already, learn to program;)

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 06:56 AM
If you don't already, learn to program;)

Yeah, I tried that. And I've done some pretty basic stuff... But I don't have the mindset down, and I'd like to wait until next summer... The local University offers some pretty nice Python classes, I may enroll.

matthew.ball
February 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Honestly, boredom's like the definition of "I'm spoilt".

Not trying to flame, but seriously go read a book or something.

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Honestly, boredom's like the definition of "I'm spoilt".

Not trying to flame, but seriously go read a book or something.

Well, when you're trapped in a cubicle working the night shift, with no books on hand, with only a cruddy WinXP box and a Dell Netbook, you tend to get bored pretty easily...

I suppose I could find some free E-Books...

ad_267
February 15th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I have a productivity decreasing tool, it's called xmoto.

TheOrangePeanut
February 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
You could try installing a tiling window manager and see how that feels. It'll take a while to get used to, but it is interesting after you've tried it a while :)

gymophett
February 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
When I get bored. I usually just play around in VirtualBox.
I try new distros, do minimal installs of Ubuntu with new WMs, etc.
Anything you can think of knowing the fact that you aren't actually fooling with your own harddisk.

I noticed we're in the same time-zone. Where ya from man?

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 07:59 AM
You could try installing a tiling window manager and see how that feels. It'll take a while to get used to, but it is interesting after you've tried it a while :)

I'm not sure that'd work well, given the screen size... I'm working with a 10.1" screen...

Icehuck
February 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Write a script that scrolls text on your screen. When management is coming by you activate the script and it will look like you are working.

It's ok to be productive when it doesn't apply to your actual job.

howlingmadhowie
February 15th, 2010, 08:08 AM
if you don't know much about the command line, search the net for a good .screenrc file and learn about the 'screen' command.

hessiess
February 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure that'd work well, given the screen size... I'm working with a 10.1" screen...

Optimise your applications to get rid of all the useless GUI garbage and save screen space. Tiling WMs do work quite well on small screens because they get rid of all the useless window decorations and maximise everything by default (which you would have to do anyway on a small screen).

Psumi
February 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
http://www.homestarrunner.com

needs Flash (Don't use Opera nor swfdec/gnash without first turning off the "click to use flash object" option. Opera cannot disable this option.)

clanky
February 15th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I've got a little Dell Mini 10, running the average Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. And it's 12:48 in the morning. And I'm bored. Out of my mind. So, any suggestions on packages I can download to enhance it's appearance, or whatever? Any productivity increasing tools? Any secrets you mind sharing? Throw them at me.

Just... Nothing that'll kill my system, or any malicious code... I don't want to have to do a complete Reinstall. And be wary, the mods are watching.

-Ericson

Please refer to the instructions contained in my signature! :D

CharlesA
February 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM

/winthread :D

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Well... I found some things to do for the night. And now I'm back home...

So, this thread... Is closed.

-Ericson

swoll1980
February 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Well... I found some things to do for the night. And now I'm back home...

So, this thread... Is closed.

-Ericson

Just when I was going to suggest that you do whatever they're paying you to do.

Sporkman
February 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Write a clever SporkApp & impress your friends. (see sig)