PDA

View Full Version : It feels like my internet is getting slower every day.

sandyd
February 15th, 2010, 04:04 AM
It feels like my internet is getting slower every day.

yesterday, it took 4 seconds to load the community cafe.
the day before, it was snappy and took less than one second.
today? horrible. It took me 8-9 seconds to load the community cafe and 10 seconds to open the wiki to edit my page.

comcast, whats going on?

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Comcast be sappin' your internetz.

But in all seriousness, Comcast is known to throttle it's users' internet for no reason whatsoever.

Gallahhad
February 15th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Sorry to hear it; I have almost given in and went cable a few times myself, but everytime I'm about to make the jump from ADSL to Cable, I read something like this, and stick with what I have. Slow and reliable.

Hope your connection issues clear soon.

Gallahhad

tgalati4
February 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM
It's the Olympics.

Satoru-san
February 15th, 2010, 07:28 AM
You dont happen to use fiber optics do you?

In all seriousness, I had comcast back in the United States, and they would, from time to time, slow my connection down CONSIDERABLY. I don't even know why.

Frak
February 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Comcast may be throttling users to clear bandwidth for the Olympics, since Comcast is basically overseeing the operation as it stands.

moster
February 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
hey, try chrome browser, I am finally using something else then firefox. From some benchmarks, it is double faster in rendering web pages.

I dont say it is only reason, but faster is faster.

markbuntu
February 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
If your cache gets full things will slow down.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
But in all seriousness, Comcast is known to throttle it's users' internet for no reason whatsoever.
Same thing happened to me late last year. It kept up for about a month and a half too. Didn't matter what browser or OS combination I used.

lisati
February 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Comcast be sappin' your internetz.

If they can't come up with a reason, well...... :)

The Real Dave
February 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Try running your own caching proxy server :) Squid is great. I have it running on my server, but you can run it locally too. Means that all the background stuff in webpages, the stuff that never changes, can be stored by the proxy, and retrieved in an instant. Makes my .5Mbps internet feel so much faster, and saves bandwidth too :)

Simon17
February 16th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Well you'd better get used to it. The days of unlimited internet are long gone.
There is not an internet shortage (http://news.cnet.com/2100-1034_3-6237715.html) and I wouldn't be surprised if the government starts issuing ration tickets for internet in the very near future.

tgalati4
February 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
March Madness also brings the web to a crawl.

sandyd
February 16th, 2010, 05:55 AM
and it seems also funny to say that this guy : http://twitter.com/ComcastDete/status/9017471415
said comcast didnt do throttling. He gave it a link to the TOS page.
It was a broken link.
Which means, i guess they have no TOS? :lolflag:

and no, its not only the torrents, even though im asking about them.

uRock
February 16th, 2010, 05:58 AM
It feels like my internet is getting slower every day.

I just had the same problem when I clicked on this thread from the UF main page. Maybe this subforum is on a different server with lower bandwidth allowances.

Try http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

RJARRRPCGP
February 16th, 2010, 05:59 AM
The slowness may mean bad cabling or modem.