PDA

View Full Version : How often do you re-install ubuntu?

geordie_123
February 15th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I have noticed that I re-install ubuntu once a month because " I fix it until it breaks. "
Does anyone else do the same thing?

x33a
February 15th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I have noticed that I re-install ubuntu once a month because " I fix it until it breaks. "

You mean "break it till it is unfixable?" :P

Well while i used ubuntu for about 1 year, during that period, i upgraded once from hardy to intrepid. and after that did a clean install of jaunty only once.

After that i installed arch and haven't reinstalled ever since, about 6 months till now.

Lightstar
February 15th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Everytime a new release comes out, I reinstall.
Sometimes I do crash before that time comes, but not often.

geordie_123
February 15th, 2010, 03:59 AM
nope-- I fix it to the way I want it until it breaks. :)

MaxIBoy
February 15th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I reformat my laptop (Mint 8 and Debian this time around) every 4 months as that is the mean time between sending it back under warranty.

I cannot recommend the Toshiba Satellite A205 series in terms of reliability. :)

themarker0
February 15th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I do it every six months just for housekeeping, and never before, i live with whatever i do :p

tekkidd
February 15th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I used to do it a whole lot when i started with linux (like 3 times a week because i was doing stupid stuff and didnt know the easy fix but now i try not to reinstall because i have a whole lot of stuff on my computer

vrkalak
February 15th, 2010, 04:31 AM
With both Xubuntu-Jaunty (9.04) and Xubuntu-Karmic (9.10) .... I only did the initial fresh install.

But with the (still in development) version of Xubuntu-Lucid ... I seem to be 'having' to do a fresh re-install, just after the a dist.upgrade, in the Alpha releases anyway.

FuturePilot
February 15th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Usually never. I just keep upgrading.

HappyFeet
February 15th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I clean install every new release. No "upgrading" for me, as I like my computer to run well.

ssj6akshat
February 15th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Never.using it for 1 year and it is perfect.

Satoru-san
February 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Back when I used ubuntu, I never had to reinstall. When I used bsd, the same was true, When I put gentoo on my desktop, I almost had to reinstall it when I almost completly made the world unstable, then realized it was a bad idea and tried to go back, that is easier said than done. It took about a week to get back to stable, but I learned a lot about gentoo doing it.:popcorn:

markbuntu
February 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Reinstall?? maybe once. I do have about 8 installs though.

gsmanners
February 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I re-install my system once every 6 months. Counting VMs, I probably re-install about once every 2 or 3 months.

Woolio1
February 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I reinstall my system when something breaks, and I don't know why... Which is pretty common.

In fact, reinstalling now. Again.

Kai69
February 16th, 2010, 01:46 AM
LOTS I tend to break something but its a lot quicker 2 hours full install :P

Woolio1
February 16th, 2010, 01:58 AM
LOTS I tend to break something but its a lot quicker 2 hours full install :P

Two hours? I just completely reinstalled in about fifteen minutes. On a netbook.

-Ericson

Kai69
February 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Two hours? I just completely reinstalled in about fifteen minutes. On a netbook.

-Ericson

LOL From putting the cd in to full install I mean everything msn, skype,printer, all my stuff put back on. When I did a full install in windows it could take up to 6-8 hours :p Hows the HDD ;)

Simian Man
February 16th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I use Fedora, but do a fresh install on my desktop every six months (usually when the beta comes out) and do a fresh install on my laptop about once a year (when there is some reason to upgrade).

Mustard
February 16th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I try to keep one install of Ubuntu 'tamper free', because its the tampering that kills it. With that in mind I have Karmic running with very few changes from the default, whereas I am running Lucid and Debian Squeeze on other partitions for tinkering and breaking. Currently my obsession is with the minimalist desktops so I spend a lot of time with openbox and setting up various themes and configs.

Reinstalling Ubuntu doesnt worry me too much. Its when my tampering breaks my Windows installation that I really get annoyed. Windows XP is a PITA to reinstall.

How often do I reinstall Ubuntu? Well, my current Karmic install is on it's second incarnation since Karmic came out.
(the first Karmic install died of bloat after I had installed 4 different browsers, several different windows managers and countless other bits of software, both packaged and self-compiled, I was keen to see the latest versions of.)

I've reinstalled Lucid three times this month. On my last partition I have had gentoo, arch and debian squeeze running so far this month.