PDA

View Full Version : Living the "Dream"?

zak89
February 15th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I've met a few characters that are living the Linux dream or at least claiming to. But here's the rub... is there anyone who's exclusively using it? I don't mean "I've got Linux installed on my USB stick" or "I dual boot". Is there anyone who is actually using Linux as there sole operating system. Booting into everyday to check their email, write their documents, develop their code, surf the web and yes.. play their games. I fear there is not.

via http://thenakedcoder.blogspot.com/2010/02/rant-is-linux-dream-myth.html

This blogger posted his doubts on the viability of using Linux as a main OS. As you can see in the comments section, he's already getting a bit "noise", and I daresay he's reconsidering his premise. But I thought that other Ubuntu users (ideally, of course, those who use Ubuntu/Linux exclusively, as he says) may be interested in posting their thoughts as well. Imagine, what if this blog post ha a couple hundred comments from "full" Linux users... That would be a link to bookmark, eh?

If anyone's interested, check it out! I'd speculate the "Naked Coder" may be posting a retraction...

ElSlunko
February 15th, 2010, 12:50 AM
It's dangerous to make absolute statements about anything. I hope to one day become a big time photographer and I don't see the need for any other OS in that Vision :). Of course if I had a requirement that was only available in Windows or OSX then I couldn't make the "pure" Linux argument.

In the end however, I don't care. I just don't like people claiming what the hell I can and can't do on my PC. People are too concerned over other people's opinion, as if they can't make up their mind on their own or they'll be outcast by the popular crowd.

Kai69
February 15th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Im using Ubuntu 9.10 on my lappy I havent had windows on here since Nov 09 and now only use windows at work, or sorting out the other pcs we own.
Ok so I dont have anything fancy on 9.10 like cubes etc but for what I use a pc for its well up to the task and more and im not against Windows my lappy had XP on it but when it broke (didnt have the restore disks) I needed something to run it so started to look around never used linux before and as it was a free OS I had nothing to lose.
Yes I have had some problems with ubuntu but not enough problems to go back to windows and the more ive learned about GNU/LINUX im happy to use it and support it..:p

Zoot7
February 15th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't say the ability to use Linux 100% of your own time is a myth. But I will say this, IMO if somebody says just that then you can conclude that their computing needs definitely aren't that diverse in the sense they don't need specialized applications because they generally are Windows only anyway.
If I cite myself as an example, I'm in Linux maybe 75% of my free time. The other 25% is in Windows for Games, Home Recording and some Engineering applications. (That's when I'm behind the box of course)

People are too concerned over other people's opinion, as if they can't make up their mind on their own or they'll be outcast by the popular crowd.
Got it in one! That's not just on forums/blogs etc. but in all walks of life. :)

matthew.ball
February 15th, 2010, 01:53 AM
via http://thenakedcoder.blogspot.com/2010/02/rant-is-linux-dream-myth.html

This blogger posted his doubts on the viability of using Linux as a main OS. As you can see in the comments section, he's already getting a bit "noise", and I daresay he's reconsidering his premise. But I thought that other Ubuntu users (ideally, of course, those who use Ubuntu/Linux exclusively, as he says) may be interested in posting their thoughts as well. Imagine, what if this blog post ha a couple hundred comments from "full" Linux users... That would be a link to bookmark, eh?

If anyone's interested, check it out! I'd speculate the "Naked Coder" may be posting a retraction...
Wow, he's in the same city as me. I'm kind of insulted to be honest. I would think, of all people, programmers are the least likely to make a blanket generalisation like that.

I haven't used Windows for a long time now. I'm a university student studying philosophy and computer science. I use a computer for writing papers, browsing the Internet, email and the occasional hacking away at some code.
I am yet to find a reason why I would need to return to Windows.

I have found some pretty cool applications for use on Linux and would actually feel less productive if I went back to Windows.

NovaAesa
February 15th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I'm using only Linux on my computers. I use Windows at work and at uni, because that's what they have there. I don't play games on Linux though - IMO computers are for productivity and consoles are for play.

phrostbyte
February 15th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I'm using only Linux on my computers. I use Windows at work and at uni, because that's what they have there. I don't play games on Linux though - IMO computers are for productivity and consoles are for play.

I actually had a job where most people used Linux on the desktop. So once upon a time, I did actually use Linux and Linux alone! :) (Not currently though.)

I think it's obvious that there are many people "living the dream", but I agree that it can be hard, but not impossible. :)

Psychodox
February 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Until last month I dual booted between different Linux installs and the M$... stating for years 'one of these days I WILL stop using <snip>' whenever <snip>, Autodesk, and all the other wares that constantly interfered with my work because they were more interested in the $, security of their software (i only had a license...), and bland tools that were hard to customize, if possible at all.

100% Linux finally last month. Sure, I have to relearn some things, lost a few tools, but gained some as well. I am a game designer, but am currently in the process of my first Linux tool set only 3D cartoon. (Then maybe get back into game design once I get the Linux tool set under control.)

I'm not saying I will never use Windows again, I doubt it, but it's possible. However, I do know I wont put all my eggs into one basket like that again.

MaxCarnage
February 15th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Ironically my iPhone requires that I have a Windows install so that I can manage my phone and perform updates. Virtualbox is my friend. But I think it's silly to say that a Linux-based OS can't be a viable OS by itself; I use it exclusively for everything but my phone, and if I were to switch to an Android-based phone I imagine I wouldn't need Windows at all.

gsmanners
February 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I guess I've been living the dream (except for a couple games) since 2005. It's actually kind of nice, compared to the cold hard "reality" most people live in.

BenAshton24
February 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I've been Linux only for a long time now. (apart from having a VM of windows to test the cross-platform compatibility of my code)

I have to use windows at school as well which is pretty annoying; especially when the computers are riddled with viruses and their idea of security is a flash drive policy and a routine re-install every few weeks.

SirBismuth
February 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I've been Linux only for a long time now. (apart from having a VM of windows to test the cross-platform compatibility of my code)

I have to use windows at school as well which is pretty annoying; especially when the computers are riddled with viruses and their idea of security is a flash drive policy and a routine re-install every few weeks.

Lol, that sounds similar to my employer's policy, that plus a firewall so restrictive I got blocked from visiting sites related to my work. That they removed the blocks eventually, and only opened the ports for skype because they also used it. The non-productive sites are still blocked though, doesn't bother me as I have a faster internet connection at home.

Ubuntu has been my sole OS at home since 9.10 was released at the end of October, and while I have a dual-boot option at work, I can't remember the last time I booted into Windows. I use XP in a VM on occasion, for the odd site that needs IE, at work.

B

benmoran
February 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I've been living the dream for about 2.5 years now. On more than one PC.

t0p
February 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
My computers were Linux-only from 2007 (Gutsy) til Christmas. Then a relative who knew I like "computers" and photography but didn't know about my minority OS interests got me a copy of Photoshop CS4. Well, when someone spends that much on a prezzie, you just have to use it. Don't want to appear ungrateful. I tried Wine, but couldn't get PS to work. So I installed VirtualBox and stuck a guest XP on it. That doesn't work brilliantly either, too little RAM I think. So I'm going to either upgrade the RAM or switch to dual-boot when I upgrade the box to Lucid later this year.

Since I installed a virtual XP I've used it maybe 7 times. There's absolutely nothing other than the Photoshop I want it for - and I tend to use the Gimp in Ubuntu for my image editing anyway. So I guess you could say I'm still Linux-only.

audiomick
February 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am obliged to have windows on the laptop for a couple of sound engineer niche programs that are windows only. The desktop at home is Ubuntu only, and I can't think of a reason why that would change.

hessiess
February 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Besides testing websites in (ugh) IE, I only use Linux.

matthew
February 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I've had nothing but Linux installed on the multiple computers at my house since 2005 and duel booted before that for some time.

dolphinaura
February 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
not impossible. my main laptop runs only ubuntu 9.10, while my destkop also runs it. the only computer that doesnt run it is my vostro, which runs a win7/mac os x dual boot. but I mainly use that laptop for work anyways so w/e

BenAshton24
February 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Lol, that sounds similar to my employer's policy, that plus a firewall so restrictive I got blocked from visiting sites related to my work. That they removed the blocks eventually, and only opened the ports for skype because they also used it. The non-productive sites are still blocked though, doesn't bother me as I have a faster internet connection at home.

Ubuntu has been my sole OS at home since 9.10 was released at the end of October, and while I have a dual-boot option at work, I can't remember the last time I booted into Windows. I use XP in a VM on occasion, for the odd site that needs IE, at work.

B

Haha well, at least your work can actually effectively block sites.

The teacher often disables the internet whilst he tells us what we're supposed to do, so I tend to disable "QoS packet scheduling" in the active connection's settings. Not only can I access the internet again, but all websites are unblocked :)

lykwydchykyn
February 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I don't really see what's so hard about it. If a person wants to switch, just switch. You dual-boot, you find alternatives, you run a VM -- you can get it all done somehow if you really believe it's "the Dream".

I think maybe that's the difficulty here. Some people just prefer to have something "out there" like Linux that they can talk about switching to when they get disgruntled with what they're using. But they don't actually want to use it.

I think it's kind of like the whole poet/muse relationship.

sleepee
February 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM
lol!! i was just reading this blog a little while ago.. i thought to myself, this guy must have never visited ubuntuforums lol!!