PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to install a deb.tar.gz ?

L Campbell
February 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I am running 8.10 on my PC and have downloaded Open Office 3.2.0 to my Desktop.

Do I 'open with Archive Manager' to install this?

TIA.

rcayea
February 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
This is the link you want:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8812741

ibuclaw
February 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
deb.tar.gz ?

Seems alot like overkill on compress. ;)

Yeah, I presume you just double click, extract the .deb, then double click on the .deb to install.

Regards
Iain

L Campbell
February 14th, 2010, 09:52 PM
This is the link you want:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8812741

Thanks, that looks like a great link.

I entered the first command into Terminal and it returned 'command not found', so I changed directory to Desktop and tried again, but got the same result.:-

qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
bash: OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz: command not found
qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ cd Desktop
qwer@qwer-desktop:~/Desktop$ OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
bash: OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz: command not found
qwer@qwer-desktop:~/Desktop$

Please, what am I doing wrong here?

oldos2er
February 14th, 2010, 10:39 PM
You need to decompress the archive first:
tar zxvf OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz

It would be better for you to install OpenOffice from a repository though. See http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml

ajgreeny
February 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
If the tar.gz is like previous ones from OOo direct, you can just open the archive with archive manager by double clicking on it. That will show one folder with three subfolders, DEBS, licenses, readmes and an update file. The DEBS folder will contain another subfolder called desktop-integration. Again if like previous versions, you can install the new OpenOffice alongside your current version, but will not be able to automatically add menu items; we'll come to that later. Extract the tar.gz to a folder in home.

In a terminal navigate to the DEBS folder within that home folder with
cd /path/to/folder and check you are there with
ls to see all the .deb files. Now use the command
sudo dpkg -i *.deband all those .deb files will be installed, and any dependencies needed will be downloaded and installed as well.

If you keep your old OOo version, don't install the desktop-integration .deb file or you will give the system a big headache. That .deb would add menu items if you had removed the previous OOo version, but otherwise you will need to find all the executables for the new version; they were in /opt in previous downloads, so I assume the same will still be true, and simply make launchers to them, either in the main menu, or on your desktop.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you understand how to do such things a bit better, but as olsos2er says, you can add a ppa repo to do it the easy way, I just thought you might find this info useful for future use.

L Campbell
February 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM
If the tar.gz is like previous ones from OOo direct, you can just open the archive with archive manager by double clicking on it. That will show one folder with three subfolders, DEBS, licenses, readmes and an update file. The DEBS folder will contain another subfolder called desktop-integration. Again if like previous versions, you can install the new OpenOffice alongside your current version, but will not be able to automatically add menu items; we'll come to that later. Extract the tar.gz to a folder in home.

In a terminal navigate to the DEBS folder within that home folder with
cd /path/to/folder and check you are there with
ls to see all the .deb files. Now use the command
sudo dpkg -i *.deband all those .deb files will be installed, and any dependencies needed will be downloaded and installed as well.

If you keep your old OOo version, don't install the desktop-integration .deb file or you will give the system a big headache. That .deb would add menu items if you had removed the previous OOo version, but otherwise you will need to find all the executables for the new version; they were in /opt in previous downloads, so I assume the same will still be true, and simply make launchers to them, either in the main menu, or on your desktop.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you understand how to do such things a bit better, but as olsos2er says, you can add a ppa repo to do it the easy way, I just thought you might find this info useful for future use.

Thanks for your suggestions here.

This is the file that I have on my Desktop:-

OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz

I have tried double clicking it, right clicking and trying to open with Archive Manager, 'Extract Here' and each time I get "An error occurred while loading the archive", so I am still confused.

Could the file have become corrupted during the download process?

Kind regards.

coolbrook
February 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Try downloading it again. It should be around 175 megs.

Zoot7
February 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your suggestions here.

This is the file that I have on my Desktop:-

OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz

I have tried double clicking it, right clicking and trying to open with Archive Manager, 'Extract Here' and each time I get "An error occurred while loading the archive", so I am still confused.

Could the file have become corrupted during the download process?

Kind regards.
Try extracting it with

tar xvf OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz

L Campbell
February 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Try extracting it with

tar xvf OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz

Thank you. I tried this but didn't have any luck.

qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ tar xvf OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz
tar: OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ cd Desktop tar xvf OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz

Kind regards.

Satoru-san
February 15th, 2010, 11:04 PM
cd to your desktop, then Type the first letter capital O and hit <tab> <tab> this will show you the completions, if it doesnt auto complete type the next letter.

tar xvzf O <tab> <tab>

L Campbell
February 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Try downloading it again. It should be around 175 megs.

OK, thanks, it is 34 megs now.

I read that the 'w' before the JRE is to indicate 'without' JRE .

Could that account for the missing 141 megs?

Kind regards.

tom.swartz07
February 15th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you. I tried this but didn't have any luck.

qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ tar xvf OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz
tar: OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ cd Desktop tar xvf OOo_3.2.0_Linuxlntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz

Kind regards.

Hiya!

I cant verify this for certain, but I know that today the official repository for OpenOffice was to update to version 3.2

You could easily upgrade the old version of OO on your system by
SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>SOFTWARE SOURCES, click the "Other Software" Tab, click the ADD button and copy & paste this
ppa:openoffice-pkgs/ppa into the dialogue.

Then run Update Manager and you should be able to UPGRADE.

If its not there, it will most certainly be there by tomorrow or Wednesday

L Campbell
February 15th, 2010, 11:12 PM
cd to your desktop, then Type the first letter capital O and hit <tab> <tab> this will show you the completions, if it doesnt auto complete type the next letter.

tar xvzf O <tab> <tab>

Thanks, I tried this and here is what I got:-

qwer@qwer-desktop:~$ cd Desktop
qwer@qwer-desktop:~/Desktop$ tar xvzf OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US_deb.tar.gz OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/

Kind regards.

L Campbell
February 15th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hiya!

I cant verify this for certain, but I know that today the official repository for OpenOffice was to update to version 3.2

You could easily upgrade the old version of OO on your system by
SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>SOFTWARE SOURCES, click the "Other Software" Tab, click the ADD button and copy & paste this
ppa:openoffice-pkgs/ppa into the dialogue.

Then run Update Manager and you should be able to UPGRADE.

If its not there, it will most certainly be there by tomorrow or Wednesday

Hi, I appreciate your suggestion here. The way my luck has been going, I think I'll wait till the morning to try it. :-)

Kind regards.

tom.swartz07
February 15th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hi, I appreciate your suggestion here. The way my luck has been going, I think I'll wait till the morning to try it. :-)

Kind regards.

Sure thing- Although it might be quicker to download and fight with the deb file, the method that I have described assures that your version of OO that is installed on the computer is up to date, and you dont have to worry about any compressed deb files. :p

I figure, its worth a shot at least, right?

L Campbell
February 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Sure thing- Although it might be quicker to download and fight with the deb file, the method that I have described assures that your version of OO that is installed on the computer is up to date, and you dont have to worry about any compressed deb files. :p

OK, I'm made some progress but then got stuck again.

I hope this screenshot will show where I am at:-

tom.swartz07
February 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I see you edited to fix the screenshot, but it still didnt show. Try adding it as an attachment rather than link to it in the post.

L Campbell
February 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM

SCREENSHOT WILL NOT SHOW UP

tom.swartz07
February 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM

SCREENSHOT WILL NOT SHOW UP

Create a new post. Below where you type the message, you will see a box that says manage attachments.

Make sure you click the upload button to put the pics there. See the attachments i have for the method.

L Campbell
February 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Create a new post. Below where you type the message, you will see a box that says manage attachments.

Make sure you click the upload button to put the pics there. See the attachments i have for the method.

I think I can see what I did. I saved the screenshot as 'screenshot1' and forgot to add '.png'

sandyd
February 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I think I can see what I did. I saved the screenshot as 'screenshot1' and forgot to add '.png'

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openoffice-pkgs/ppa
only works in ubuntu v.9.10

L Campbell
February 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openoffice-pkgs/ppa
only works in ubuntu v.9.10

OK, thanks, I'm using 8.10 so I guess I'll have to save this for later.

Kind regards.

sandyd
February 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
copy and paste.
dont change anything.

mkdir ~/OpenOfficeTMP
cd ~/OpenOfficeTMP
wget -c http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/stable/3.2.0/OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
tar xvfz OOo*
cd OOO*
cd DEBS
cd desktop*
mv * ../
cd ../
sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org*
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

lavinog
February 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Is there a reason why you are installing 3.2?
Why do you not upgrade to a more recent version of ubuntu (you are going to need to in april anyway.) Why not make the transition smoother by sticking to official repositories and updating to 9.10 so when 10.04 is released you can update straight to that.

L Campbell
February 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Is there a reason why you are installing 3.2?
Why do you not upgrade to a more recent version of ubuntu (you are going to need to in april anyway.) Why not make the transition smoother by sticking to official repositories and updating to 9.10 so when 10.04 is released you can update straight to that.

You make a good point here.

I recently changed from 8.04.4 to 8.10 so that I could get the Skype phone, which does not appear to be available for the other versions.

Had I seen Skype for 9.10, I would have changed to it, as I do plan to get 10.04 when it is ready.

Kind regards.

tom.swartz07
February 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM
You make a good point here.

I recently changed from 8.04.4 to 8.10 so that I could get the Skype phone, which does not appear to be available for the other versions.

Had I seen Skype for 9.10, I would have changed to it, as I do plan to get 10.04 when it is ready.

Kind regards.

At the expense of sounding elitist, but the Devs at Skype arent exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to the nomenclature of the Ubuntu versions.

When they say that Skype works for 8.10, they mean that the earliest version that will work is 8.10. I have skype on my 9.10 box and it works great!

L Campbell
February 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
copy and paste.
dont change anything.

mkdir ~/OpenOfficeTMP
cd ~/OpenOfficeTMP
wget -c http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/stable/3.2.0/OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
tar xvfz OOo*
cd OOO*
cd DEBS
cd desktop*
mv * ../
sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org*
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Thank you for all your efforts here. I appreciate you sticking with me.

Everything seemed to go smoothly except for the very last line:-

ktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
dpkg: error processing *.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
*.deb
qwer@qwer-desktop:~/OpenOfficeTMP/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/desktop-integration$

Kind regards.

L Campbell
February 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
At the expense of sounding elitist, but the Devs at Skype arent exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to the nomenclature of the Ubuntu versions.

When they say that Skype works for 8.10, they mean that the earliest version that will work is 8.10. I have skype on my 9.10 box and it works great!

Once again I learn something,thanks.

I thought that I had read something recently about Skype and Ubuntu getting crossways about a license, code, or something and that was why it was no longer available.

Kind regards.

sandyd
February 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Thank you for all your efforts here. I appreciate you sticking with me.

Everything seemed to go smoothly except for the very last line:-

ktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
dpkg: error processing *.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
*.deb
qwer@qwer-desktop:~/OpenOfficeTMP/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/desktop-integration$

Kind regards.

fixed typo

L Campbell
February 17th, 2010, 04:42 PM
fixed typo

I'm really sorry that I'm so dense but I don't see which line you made a correction in.

I assumed it was in the last line, so I re-pasted that in again but got the same result as I had previously. :-(

Kind regards.

sandyd
February 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I'm really sorry that I'm so dense but I don't see which line you made a correction in.

I assumed it was in the last line, so I re-pasted that in again but got the same result as I had previously. :-(

Kind regards.

I did a typo while typing

cd ../

L Campbell
February 18th, 2010, 04:36 PM
fixed typo

MANY THANKS !!

That worked perfectly and I really appreciate it.

Kind regards.

sandyd
February 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
your welcome :)
glad I helped