PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow will start the cell/smartphone wars.. who will win?

Ylon
February 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
With MS finally in game for next generation mobile phone reference (http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1822901/microsoft_to_announce_windows_mobile_7_on_monday/) and Symbian (Microkernel OS with 50% of global market share) going more and more progressively OpenSource all the challengers are on game.

iPhone/iPad, Symbian, WM Seven, Mobilin, Android... who will get the success?

squilookle
February 15th, 2010, 12:21 AM
It's going to have to be VERY good.

Personally, I can't see it appealing to consumers because it does not have the same 'cool' as the iPhone does, and probably never will no matter how great the software is. However, I would expect it to do well with business: except for the fact that the indications seem to be that they have targeted consumers more - I wonder whether or not this will send more businesses over to Blackberry...

Personally, I think the mobile market is potentially in a better state than the PC market at the moment anyway: there is no shortage of choice, and I dont think any of the mobile O's are about to disappear. Let's hope it stays like that.

hobo14
February 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I don't think we'll see any one device overtake the iPhone in the forseeable future, but unless WM7 can use standard windows programs (which would be absurd) I think Android will be the top phone OS soon, and stay there for quite a while.

PhoenixMaster00
February 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I think while the iPhone will prove to be most popular, android will be biggest Mobile OS it seems everyone is tinkering with it on smartphones, tablets, netbooks, mp3 players etc and if google get more involved with the non cellphone side of Android it could really take off

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I don't think we'll see any one device overtake the iPhone in the forseeable future, but unless WM7 can use standard windows programs (which would be absurd) I think Android will be the top phone OS soon, and stay there for quite a while.

"My smartphone can run DOOM." -iPhone user.

"Yeah? Well, my smartphone can run Crysis! Beat that!" -Windows 7 Phone user.

lisati
February 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Guess what! My mobile phone can actually make phone calls! (That's assuming its network isn't down, which hasn't happened often enough to worry me, but the credit on my bill is nice.)

Islington
February 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Guess what! My mobile phone can actually make phone calls! (That's assuming its network isn't down, which hasn't happened often enough to worry me, but the credit on my bill is nice.)

a phone...to make calls? how absurd. :p

lisati
February 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM
a phone...to make calls? how absurd. :p

:lolflag:

Gallahhad
February 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM
With MS finally in game for next generation mobile phone reference (http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1822901/microsoft_to_announce_windows_mobile_7_on_monday/) and Symbian (Microkernel OS with 50% of global market share) going more and more progressively OpenSource all the challengers are on game.

I predict:

Windows Mobile 7
iPhone
Android

baddog144
February 15th, 2010, 06:37 AM

But...that's not what phones are for! :(

themarker0
February 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Does anyone miss the old Palm's? Or is that just me? Web Browsing, and a few games. All yea need ;)

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM
But...that's not what phones are for! :(

We have Skype for making calls while sitting in front of our PCs. We have phones to surf the internet and text people while we're away from our PCs.

What's this with these people wanting to use a phone for calling people nowadays? Is it a new fad or something?

BuffaloX
February 15th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Microsoft might have a chance if they made a cheaper licensed version.
Windows mobile starter, if you only need to call home. :p

Islington
February 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
BTW adobe announced today that flash, and air will be availible for android:

http://theflashblog.com/?p=1758

toupeiro
February 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I like Palm's WebOS. Generally, I think palm makes great stuff. I used to be a Treo 650 owner. Personally, I still think that phone was better than any blackberry or iPhone I've owned since then. I have a Blackberry tour now. Definitely the best Blackberry I've ever owned, but still not better than the Treo was.

Ylon
February 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s4EeGwmcqM
Presentation(2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rW7KoxfGU
"A different kind of phone" adv:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvSH8BkpGw

The only "new" thing I can see is the "slide back" when you press on some elements.

The only thing MS can bet is on pushing software house to develop stuff for them... sadly, they are mastering at it. ](*,)

Lightstar
February 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I hope the winner has a plug-and-play phone.

Seriously, when I look at all the media players mp3/mp4 and phones here, Most need a stupid program to be used. I can't stand itunes, I just want something to plug and play, like we would do with an usb key.

I still love my chinese media player, imported. It's so simple to use, no need for any application installed. I'll do the same with a phone if I need to. Yay importation! (though.. we all know.. even the iphone and other phones are mostly made from made-in-china components).

Cabs21
February 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM

ME!:p

Case:
Durable outer case with dent resistant and scratch resistant cover

Camera:
Dual 5 Mega Pixel cameras (supports HD video and pictures)

Sound:
Mono exterior speakers with dual audio microphones

Interfaces:
multi touch interface along with voice and visual command recognition

Processor:
New Pentium Brain (1+ TB RAM)

Memory:
30+ TB internal memory

Battery:
40 hours of constant use before required recharge (recharges in 6 hours)

3G service:
Yes

Other Options:
Several Apps
Customizable backgrounds and interfaces
Open-source software
Compatible with 90% of existing software/hardware past or present
Upgradable to adapt to future hardware
Plug and Play function

Carriers:
TBA

Easy win!

pricetech
February 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Guess what! My mobile phone can actually make phone calls!

Wait, what ??? A phone that makes phone calls ??? Wow !! Ain't technology wonderful ??

Any idea how I can get my coffee maker to brew coffee ??

Ylon
February 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Also, Maemo 5 didn't look that bad.. plus is based on Linux!

MCVenom
February 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Android. My Droid makes calls, is a Wi-Fi hotspot, runs Ubuntu and plays Pokemon Blue ;)

MCVenom
February 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I hope the winner has a plug-and-play phone.

Seriously, when I look at all the media players mp3/mp4 and phones here, Most need a stupid program to be used. I can't stand itunes, I just want something to plug and play, like we would do with an usb key.

Android IS DEFINITELY for you. :D