PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install process wont proceed

JJRockford
February 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 on my old HP ZV5421EA laptop. Haven't had much luck so far...

Since I was intrested in trying out the different sequencers for Ubuntu (like Ardour and Rosegarden) I decided to try Ubuntu Studio. Tried to install from a USB stick first, but that doesn't seem to be possible on the laptop. Burned a DVD. That installation went pretty far, before it suddenly refused to install any GRUB version at all.

Now I tried with two DVD:s with the official standard Ubuntu 9.10, but the installation get stuck after choosing language and "Install Ubuntu". No error messages, nothing.

Any ideas?

darkod
February 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure about Studio, but since you also have the standard Desktop version, if you boot it and select Try Ubuntu does it load the live desktop correctly? Does your wired internet, graphics, audio, work in it?
If you have any issues, they will most likely repeat themselves even if it does install all the way.
If the live desktop runs fine, we can try figure out the problem.

JJRockford
February 15th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I can't run the live desktop either.

No matter which alternative I choose, I get stuck on the first menu.

Cheezespread
February 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
1.Can you check the cd for defects ? .Or try another CD ?. Hope it's not the issue with the CD .
2. If that one also has issues, try a different ISO ( the ones in Ubuntu download page never gave me issues. Still)

JJRockford
February 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I actually burned the ISO on DVD, thought that the readability should be better then.

Tried two different DVD:s with the ISO from Ubuntu's homepage, they both give me the same problem.

Didn't try the "check for defects" alternative. Will do that later today. Maybe should make the check for defects on another computer too, if it is my CD/DVD-drive which cause the problems.

Maybe should try to burn the ISO on a CD as well?

Cheezespread
February 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Does your BIOS allow to boot from usb ?. That can alleviate the pain of burning a cd every other time from the iso.