PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems after updates?

ken0069
February 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I updated this ubuntu 9.10 system yesterday and since then it's crashed about 6 times. It was running fine before I let it update?

Anyone else have any problems with this latest system update?

Shpongle
February 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I updated this ubuntu 9.10 system yesterday and since then it's crashed about 6 times. It was running fine before I let it update?

Anyone else have any problems with this latest system update?

did you get any error msgs ? , try running recovery mode at the grub menu and select dpkg and see if that helps

HermanAB
February 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Howdy,

Let me share a dirty little secret with you: I almost never update my systems. I re-install once every year or three depending on what the machine does.

Look at it this way: If your machine is working properly, then an update cannot make it better. It can leave it either the same, or worse, but not better. So, updates must be applied with care.

Any automatic update can potentially be an automatic screw-up, so it is the first feature that I disable on a new system.

ken0069
February 15th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Howdy,

Let me share a dirty little secret with you: I almost never update my systems. I re-install once every year or three depending on what the machine does.

Look at it this way: If your machine is working properly, then an update cannot make it better. It can leave it either the same, or worse, but not better. So, updates must be applied with care.

Any automatic update can potentially be an automatic screw-up, so it is the first feature that I disable on a new system.

Well, that kinda makes sense to a point. I usually update my systems with important security updates only, which is what these were suppose to have been?? I guess I'm still addicted to Windowz where if you don't do security updates, your box gets taken over by some dude in NL with pink, purple and red spiked hair and with rings in his nose, lips and other places I don't want to know about who has nothing better to do than hork with my computer.

Funny thing is, after it crashed for about the 8th time and each time I had to pull the plug to reboot it, it seems to have finally fixed itself??? It's been up now since about a half hour after I made this post. I guess at this point I'll just wait until it does it again before I try to do anything else with it.

And thanks for the suggestions.