PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Super windows key and Applications menu

GL541
February 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Is there any way to set the Super/Windows key as hot-key for the Applications menu? You know, just like on Windows with the Start menu.

I've tried doing this in System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, but when I hit the Super key nothing happens. I know the key works though, because I've used it to "grab" windows with the cursor.

Thanks in advance for replies. :)

HermanAB
February 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, you can do it with xmodmap, but I cannot remember the details. Some googling will find a guide for you though.

I use it to map the Menu key on my Eee PC to a right hand Control key.

Here is my ~/.Xmodmap file as an example:
remove Control = Control_R
keycode 135 = Control_R
add Control = Control_R

From then on, the Menu key 135 acts like a Control key.

bumanie
February 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I also think it can be done via gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> global keybinding

GL541
February 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I also think it can be done via gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> global keybinding
Thanks both for your replies. I tried bumanie's suggestion, and got the same problem. When I go to edit the Key, I hit the super key and nothing happens. Does anyone know what it's actually called? Because I can type in things like "<Alt>F1" etc.

fualad
February 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks both for your replies. I tried bumanie's suggestion, and got the same problem. When I go to edit the Key, I hit the super key and nothing happens. Does anyone know what it's actually called? Because I can type in things like "<Alt>F1" etc.

Super_L ;)

GL541
February 19th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Super_L ;)

And it works! Fantastic!

Thank you all :)